Wait until you try this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup! It's the best soup recipe and it's so simple to make. You cook the chicken right it in the crock pot so it falls apart and can be put together in minutes.
Zach and I are crazy taco fans! We pretty much eat them in some form once a week. When I realized I didn't have a chicken tortilla soup recipe on my blog, I knew that needed to change. The combination of taco flavors and soup is a favorite around here.
If you follow along here, you also know I'm ALL about making healthy food that's easy. I love helping people change the way they view healthy cooking. It should be something that nourishes your body and tastes so great you look forward to eating it!
I promise: you will look forward to eating this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup!
What soups are healthy?
I'm all about easy, healthy soups. In my book, healthy soups are ones that I like to fit into my anti-inflammatory diet. Essentially, they're soups filled with healing and good-for-you ingredients like vegetables, spices, healthy carbs and good quality proteins. Here are some of my favorite healthy soup recipes:
And of course this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup! It's healthy because it's made with vegetables, spices and high-protein chicken. It's also free from gluten, dairy, soy and added sugar.
How many calories are in homemade chicken tortilla soup?
There are 350 carbs in one serving of this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup! One serving is a hearty bowl of this soup—about 2 full cups. This also includes the corn tortilla strips on the top.
Note: You can leave the corn tortillas off the top if you want to make this recipe lower carb or lower calorie, but I think they add so much crunch and flavor to it!
What ingredients are in slow cooker chicken tortilla soup?
The ingredients for this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup are so easy! Not only are they easy, but they're also pretty cheap. And you may already have some of these ingredients at home! Here are the main ingredients:
- Bonesless, skinless chicken breast
- black beans
- fire roasted tomatoes
- chicken broth
- corn tortillas for the topping
What spices doe you put in chicken tortilla soup?
In my opinion, the spices are what makes the chicken tortilla soup so good. Without them you would just have vegetable soup with chicken. This healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup is so good because of the combination of herbs and spices in it and how long they all cook together in the crock pot.
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
How do you make easy chicken tortilla soup in the slow cooker?
To make this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup, add all of the ingredient to the crock pot aside from the chicken and stir it well. Next, add the uncooked chicken and completely submerge them in the soup mixture so they're covered.
Cover and cook the soup and chicken in the crock pot on medium for 6 hours. Once it's cooked, remove the chicken from the soup and use two forks to pull it apart. It should shred easily. Place it back in the soup and keep warm until ready to serve.
Before serving, thinly slice corn tortillas into skinny strips. Fry them in a pan with your favorite cooking oil (I used olive oil) and set aside.
Serve this healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup warm with a handful of tortilla strips, avocado, cilantro and lime juice!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More soup recipes:
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1-15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1-14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 2 bell peppers chopped (any color)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- diced avocado limes and cilantro for serving
For tortilla strips:
- 6 small corn tortillas cut thinly into strips
- Olive oil, coconut oil or avocado oil for frying
- To make the soup, start by adding all of the soup ingredients to the crock pot, aside from the chicken. Stir well. Next, add the uncooked chicken and completely submerge them in the soup mixture so they're covered.
- Cover and cook the soup and chicken in the crock pot on medium for 5-6 hours or until the chicken shreds and falls apart. Once it's cooked, remove the chicken from the soup and use two forks to pull it apart. It should shred easily. Place the shredded chicken back in the soup, stir well and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, make the crispy tortilla strips. Thinly slice corn tortillas into skinny strips and place a paper towel on a plate and set both aside. Cover a medium saucepan with your desired cooking oil so the oil is just covering the bottom of the pan. Heat on medium-high.
- Once it’s hot, add the prepared tortilla strips to the pan. The tortillas should be sizzling. Allow to cook for 45 seconds then carefully flip over and cook for another 45 seconds, or until golden brown. Be careful not to burn. Once they’re cooked, place them on the prepared paper towel.
- Serve the chicken tortilla soup warm with sliced avocado, cilantro, lime juice and crispy tortilla strips.