Think of this recipe as the sweet potato version of a classic chili recipe. It's thick, hearty, and full of bold flavors. The chunky, tender sweet potatoes add a subtle touch of sweetness. This healthy chili recipe is the perfect winter weather dish.
If you want some ideas for another healthy weeknight meal with a unique flavor, be sure to try my sweet and spicy chili, pumpkin turkey chili, white chicken chili, or smoky white bean vegetarian chili.
Chili itself is a super comforting dish. Think about it: warm, hearty, and topped with savoriness. It's always been one of my favorite foods. I think because it reminds me of my dad and our tradition of having chili on Christmas Eve.
What's more, you can mix it up any way you like, add your favorite toppings, throw it all in the crockpot, and even freeze it for later. Easy, simple, delicious — and a great option for the colder months. It's perfect for game day, weeknight dinner, or saving as a freezer meal.
I came up with this recipe in particular when I was too lazy to head to the grocery store and instead found things I already had and somehow ended up with this magical bowl of chili. You'll notice it's made with a lot of pantry staples you probably already have at home, making it perfect for busy weeknights.
This recipe has lots of healthy ingredients. The sweet potatoes and chicken are full of complex carbs and protein to keep you full all day, and the veggies and beans provide lots of nutrients and fiber.
How to Make Sweet Potato Chili
Here are the basic steps, with images, for this sweet potato chili recipe. Skip down to the recipe card below for the full printable recipe.
Saute veggies and garlic: Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell peppers and cook until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant.
Brown the meat: Add the ground meat, brown it until no pink remains, and drain off any excess grease.
Add everything to the crockpot: Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients. Stir until everything is mixed and well distributed.
Slow cook: Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until the potatoes are soft and fork-tender.
Top and serve: Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings. Some of my favorite toppings are cheddar cheese and avocado, but green onion, sour cream (or Greek yogurt), and tortilla chips also go great with this!
Follow the instructions in the notes section of the recipe card below for how to cook this chili in the instant pot or on the stovetop.
Recipe Variations & Dietary Modifications
- If you'd like a vegetarian sweet potato chili, omit the ground meat and add in another can of black beans. If needed, add up to one can of tomato paste to thicken.
- Use lean ground beef or ground venison instead of ground turkey or chicken.
- Make a spicy chili by adding spicy flavors like red pepper flakes, hot sauce, or green chiles.
- Make it a little smokier by adding fire-roasted tomatoes in place of diced tomatoes.
- Replace the sweet potatoes with butternut squash.
- Add a different type of bean like pinto beans or kidney beans.
Meal Prep, Freezing, and Storing Tips
Meal Prep: You can easily meal prep this dish by chopping up the garlic, onions, and peppers, and peeling and cutting the sweet potato cubes ahead of time.
How to store in the fridge: Allow the chili to cool to room temperature, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, place the chili in a pot on the stove over medium heat and stir occasionally until heated through. You can also reheat it in the microwave, but be sure to stir it well and heat it in small increments to prevent overheating.
To freeze: Allow the chili to cool to room temperature and save it as a freezer meal, storing the whole thing (or just individual servings) in a freezer bag or freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and warm up on the stove or in the microwave.
If you make this slow cooker sweet potato chili recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More Sweet Potato Dishes
- Easy sweet potato curry
- Sweet potato gnocchi
- Slow cooker sweet potato beef stew
- Easy sweet potato beef taco skillet
- Sheet pan sweet potato breakfast hash
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
Crock Pot Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper, any color diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 lbs ground chicken (ground turkey works too)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespons smoked paprika
- 1 Tablespoon EACH: onion powder and garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 3 small-medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced into ½-inch cubes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Add the ground chicken or turkey and cook to brown and break it up, until no pink remains. Drain off any excess grease.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine so that all of the ingredients and spices are mixed and well distributed. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, until the potatoes are soft and fork-tender. Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings.