So here’s the deal: I’m obsessed with this recipe.
I decided this weekend that I was going to make a much better effort of prepping meals on Sunday. Being lazy and having no interest in going to the grocery store, I found things I already had and somehow ended up with this magical bowl of chili. I already had ground chicken in my freezer, but of course you can substitute with ground turkey or beef.
Before I even started making this recipe I knew I was going to love it. I mean, sweet potatoes in anything makes it 1,000 times better. And I was right. SO good. Like fight-over-the-last-bowl good.
The best part is you can add anything on top. I like to add avocado and cheese but you could get crazy and add things like cilantro, chips and sour cream. I made a huge pot of this on Sunday and packed it every day for lunch. Let’s just say my desk neighbors at work were super jealous.
Chili has always been one of my favorite foods. White chili, chicken chili, traditional chili, whatever. It’s all good to me. I think because it reminds me of my dad and the holidays.
Every family has their corky holiday traditions. Ours just so happens to be chili on Christmas Eve. We watch christmas movies and my dad makes chili and we eat bowls on bowls. Chelsea always makes an appearance for at least one bowl and a movie with the Leonard fam. Typically we have cornbread and even add some macaroni for a little chili-mac action. Because, carbs.
That recipe is by no means healthy so I wanted to lighten it up a bit since I’m taking it to work every day. The sweet potatoes and chicken are full of complex carbs and protein to keep you full all day. Throw everything in the crockpot Sunday morning and by the afternoon you have lunches for the week. It’s like magic.
More soup recipes:
- Paleo chili
- Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
- Creamy chicken and rice soup [Gluten free and Dairy free]
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1- 28 oz can crushed tomato
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chicken stock
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil and add the onion, bell pepper, one tablespoon of chili powder, one tablespoon of taco seasoning and ground chicken. Cook on medium high heat until the chicken is browned.
- Add the chicken mixture to the crockpot with the crushed tomato and black beans.
- In the same saucepan, add the cut up sweet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, your preference!) with the remaining spices, garlic, water and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a low boil and cook for approximately ten minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, combine the mixture to get a thick, smooth texture.
- Add the sweet potatoes mixture to the crock pot and mix well.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.