This Instant Pot taco soup is done in under 30 minutes and packed full of bold flavors like fire roasted corn, smoked paprika and cumin. It's easy, healthy and a great freezer meal!
Who doesn't love a simple, healthy dinner done in under 30 minutes?! That pretty much checks all the boxes for a weeknight dinner in our house. With school starting back and schedules getting crazy, we'll be making this taco soup in the Instant Pot on repeat! It's great to freeze and uses simple ingredients.
Speaking of meals that check all the boxes, our Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is another go-to. Highly recommend!
- Ground beef: we like to use a ground beef with a little more fat because it gives it so much flavor. Beef is an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is one of the most satisfying nutrients. Eating a protein-rich diet will help students feel full and prevent cravings throughout the day. In a 3-ounce serving of beef, students will get nutrients they may be lacking in – like protein, iron and zinc – which aid in brain development and cognition, all for less than 200 calories.
- Yellow onion: dice this small and saute it for a depth of flavor.
- Red bell pepper: adds flavor and extra veggies (your kids won't even know!).
- Tomato paste: this adds richness and helps thicken the soup.
- Canned tomatoes with chilis: this is essentially Rotel, but you can use diced tomatoes only if you don't like green chilis.
- Black beans: drain and rinse them well! They add a great texture to the dish and extra fiber.
- Fire roasted corn: I love the deep smoky flavor you get, but you can use sweet corn as well.
- Beef broth: compliments the ground beef well and helps turn this into a soup rather than a stew.
- Spices: chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, garlic
How to Make Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Saute: Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and saute the onion, red pepper and garlic in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown for 3-4 minutes, or until no pink remains.
- Pressure cook: Add the rest of the ingredients then lock the lid into place and seal the vent. Set to Pressure Cook (manual cook) for 8 minutes. When the time is up, allow the soup to Naturally Release (do nothing) for 10 minutes, then Quick Release the pressure valve with the handle of a wooden spoon until the soup has vented all the way.
- Top and serve: Stir, taste for seasoning then serve warm with your favorite toppings.
How to Make it in the Slow Cooker
Follow the steps to saute the meat and veggies over medium heat on the stove. Transfer to a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours.
Prefer to Watch Instead of Read?
Instant Pot Taco Soup Toppings
- Red onion
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
Side Dish Ideas
- A side salad, like this roasted chipotle sweet potato salad or cucumber tomato avocado salad.
- Cornbread or cornbread muffins
- A piece of crusty sourdough bread or soft sourdough rolls
- Chips and guacamole
- It's also great on it's own with tons of toppings!
Storage and Freezer Instructions
To Freeze: Follow the steps to saute the meat and veggies (could do this over the stove) then allow it to cool and add the mixture to a plastic bag with the rest of the ingredients. Lay it flat in the freezer to freeze solid then stand it up to save space.
To cook/reheat: allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge then cook it on low in the slow cooker for 6-7 hours or on high pressure for 8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release.
Making a double batch and freezing it is such a great option as we head into the school year. You'll get two dinner with one effort. Freeze half and save it for a busy night when you're rushing kids around to practice!
This post is sponsored by the Ohio Beef Council. Thank you to brands like them who believe in me and my recipes so I can keep sharing free ones with all of you! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More instant pot dinners:
- Instant pot Mongolian beef
- Instant pot pot roast and potatoes
- Gluten free spaghetti in the Instant pot
- Healthy Instant pot beef stroganoff
Instant Pot Taco Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 can tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles (rotel)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted corn drained
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 cups beef broth
- Toppings: avocado, cilantro, tortilla chips, sour cream, red onion, cheese, tomatoes, jalapeno
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot. Allow it to heat until the oil is rippling then add the onion, red pepper and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown for 3-4 minutes, or until no pink remains.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, fire roasted corn, black beans, spices and beef broth and stir to combine. Lock the lid into place and seal the vent. Set to Pressure Cook (manual cook) for 8 minutes. It will take a few minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure then it will start counting down. When the time is up, allow the soup to Naturally Release (do nothing) for 10 minutes, then Quick Release the pressure valve with the handle of a wooden spoon until the soup has vented all the way.
- Stir, taste for seasoning then serve warm with your favorite toppings.