This instant pot greek chicken is covered in olive oil and herb marinade and cooked in 10 minutes with the rice for a one pot meal. This recipe is so easy and great for meal prep greek chicken bowls. It's gluten free and dairy free too!
This recipe is similar to my sheet pan greek chicken and potatoes recipe, except this one is made in the instant pot with rice!
You only need one pot to make everything and it's full of veggies and quality protein. The Greek seasoning covers the chicken and marinates to give this chicken so much flavor.
Ingredients for Greek chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Chicken: try and get organic, free range chicken without antibiotics. We love to get ours from Butcher Box!
- Red onion
- Chicken or bone broth
- Jasmine rice
- Chopped parsley and feta to top (optional)
Greek Marinade Ingredients:
These are the ingredients for a flavorful greek marinade: Olive oil, Red wine vinegar, Fresh garlic, Lemon Juice, Dried oregano, Dried basil, Dried thyme, Salt, Pepper
I like to use dried herbs in this marinade because they tend to be a bit stronger and old up better for longer periods of time.
How long can you marinate chicken?
You can marinate your chicken for as little as 15 minutes or as long as overnight.
If you're short on time: marinate the chicken at the beginning of the recipe while you get the rest of the ingredients prepped/chopped/cooked. By the time you're ready to cook the chicken it will have marinated for about 15 minutes.
If you remember: you can marinate it overnight in the refrigerator. Be careful not to leave it in there too long or your chicken could get mushy.
How to make greek chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Start by marinading your chicken if you haven't already. Allow to sit while you chop the onion and zucchini.
- Once the chicken is ready, turn a 6qt Instant Pot to saute mode and heat with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When it's hot, add the marinated chicken and allow to cook until the outsides brown (it doesn't have to be fully cooked through).
- Next, add the onion and zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken stock or bone broth then the rice and close the lid.
- Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes then quick release. Stir to fluff rice then add chopped parsley and feta before serving if desired.
What to serve with greek chicken:
Because this greek chicken recipe is already made with rice I don't think it needs anything else besides extra toppings like parsley and feta. You could also add some chopped kalamata olives or hummus too!
If you don't have rice with your greek chicken, then adding rice, roasted potatoes or roasted asparagus are great options.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you! Also consider leaving a star review below!
More healthy Instant Pot recipes:
- The best instant pot chicken noodle soup
- Instant pot pot roast and potatoes
- Instant pot spaghetti [gluten free]
- Instant pot salsa chicken
- Instant pot beef stroganoff
My cookbook is now available for pre-order!
This book is full of 100+ simple, gluten free, dairy free recipes for feeling your best and feeding your family good, healthy food.
Note: this recipe was retested and updated as of 1/5/21 to reduce the amount of cooking liquid and the amount of cook time.
Instant pot greek chicken and rice
For the chicken and marinade:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast or things trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Chicken and rice:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped into large chunks
- 1 medium zucchini quartered
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or bone broth
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley optional
- 1/2 cup feta optional
- Put chicken and marinade ingredients in a freezer bag or container and allow to marinade while you prepare the rest of the ingredients, at least 15 minutes or overnight.
- While it’s marinating, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a 6qt Instant Pot and turn to saute mode. Once it’s hot, add the marinated chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side to create a brown and crispy crust. You may need to work in batches of 2-3 to get the chicken crispy. Adding too much chicken to the pan at once can cause the chicken to steam rather than sear. Discard any extra marinade.
- When all the chicken is cooked, add it all back to the instant pot if you cooked in batches then add the chopped onion and zucchini and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and rice and stir, then close the lid and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. When it’s done, use a wooden spoon to turn the valve from sealing to venting to quick release the pressure. When it’s ready, open the lid and add fresh parsley, an extra squeeze of lemon and crumbled feta if desired.