Soup season has arrived and we couldn't be happier about it. This hearty ground turkey soup is made with simple ingredients and packed with lean protein, fiber, and delicious veggies. It's a cozy, flavorful soup the whole family will love.
This healthy soup recipe is packed full of al dente veggies, potatoes, and lean ground turkey. You're getting lean protein, green vegetables, and tons of flavor in every bite. Bonus: You can add as many other vegetables as you'd like!
The best part? It takes less than 30 minutes to make and is a great freezer meal. We love to make a quick batch and freeze it for busy weeknights or take it to friend's in need because it's even better the next day!
How to Make Ground Turkey Soup
The full printable recipe card is below, but let’s walk through the steps with some photos and a video so you have a clear idea of what to expect. This healthy ground turkey soup recipe is really easy and these step-by-step instructions will make sure they turn out every time.
Step 1: Cook the onion, celery, garlic, and ground turkey: Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the diced yellow onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Brown the ground turkey in the veggies until no pink remains.
Step 2: Add remaining ingredients and cook the soup: Stir in the rest of the ingredients and spices until combined. Turn the heat up to high and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Taste and add a little bit of salt and more seasoning as needed.
Step 3: Garnish and serve: Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.
- Swap out potatoes: Substitute with sweet potato or red potatoes. To save time, you can use canned diced potatoes.
- Switch up the beans: This recipe calls for white beans. Use navy beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, or great northern beans.
- Add more toppings: Top this tasty soup with diced scallions, tortilla chips, saltine crackers, or finely shredded parmesan cheese. Squeeze a little fresh lime juice overtop for extra flavor.
- Use different meat: Substitute ground turkey with ground beef, ground chicken, or Italian sausage.
- Pile on the veggies: Add leafy greens like spinach or kale while the soup simmers. Or mix in more veggies like bell pepper, corn, or peas.
- Add a rice base: Serve it over white rice or brown rice.
How to Make Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup in the Slow Cooker
Cook the turkey sausage, onion, and garlic in a pan over medium heat then transfer to the slow cooker. Add the broth, spices, potatoes, beans, and veggies to the crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. Add parmesan cheese to individual servings.
How to Make It in the Instant Pot
This delicious recipe can also be made in the instant pot. Select sauté mode and cook ground turkey, onions, and garlic. Add the broth, potatoes, spices, veggies, and beans and set to pressure cook/manual on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Quick release by turning the valve to the venting position when the timer goes off, allowing the steam to escape. Serve right away!
Freezing and Storing Tips
Storage: Allow the leftover turkey soup to come to room temperature and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to up tp 5 days.
Reheating: Reheat leftover ground turkey and veggie soup in a large pot on the stove top or in the microwave until heated all the way through.
Freezing: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More Delicious Soup Recipes
We have plenty of hearty soup recipes to whip up on a cold day.
- Need a great recipe for another brothy soup? This instant pot chicken noodle soup is one of our favorite recipes.
- Looking for other healthy ground turkey soups? Try our turkey pumpkin chili.
- If it's a pasta soup you're in the mood for, be sure to try instant pot lasagna soup.
- Need vegan soups? Our copycat Panera Bread autumn squash soup is one of our most popular recipes. Vegan lemon lentil soup is also a winner.
Ground Turkey Vegetable Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 6-8 baby potatoes quartered (I used baby red potatoes)
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can green beans
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans
- 1 (32-ounce) carton chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Parmesan cheese and parsley for topping optional
- Large soup pot like a Dutch Oven
- Heat the olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot, add the onion and celery and cook for 2-3 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey to the onion and celery and brown the turkey until no pink remains.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and spices until combined.
- Turn the heat up to high and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Taste and add more salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, or Italian seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot with fresh chopped parsley and grated parmesan cheese.