This beanless chili recipe is an easy, comforting soup. The beef, veggies and savory chili seasonings are are cooked low and slow. It's beanless, low carb and an easy freezer meal for weekdays.
This is only the second chili recipe on WMM . I decided I needed to add a few more chili recipes to the archives after I made this sweet potato chili.
Sometimes beans just don’t really agree with me. Because of that, I tend to avoid them or opt for something different. Which makes me really sad when I have a craving for a hearty bowl of chili. As a result, I decided this chili recipe was going to be a paleo chili recipe!
Are chili beans paleo?
Beans are considered a legume and, because of that, they aren’t paleo. Legumes are a recommended food type on the paleo diet to avoid. Other legumes (besides beans) include: peanuts (yep!) and lentils. The paleo diet doesn't “permit” beans.
Are tomatoes paleo?
Tomatoes are paleo, thank goodness! However, tomatoes are part of the nightshade family and you should avoid them if you're doing the auto-immune paleo diet.
Beanless chili ingredients
- Ground beef
- Italian sausage: casings removed and make sure there isn't any corn syrup in the ingredients!
- Diced tomatoes
- Red pepper
- Spices: chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper
I love this recipe because not only is it super healthy, but it’s also so easy to make. Who doesn’t love a hearty, slow cooker recipe in the fall?
How to make beanless chili
- Saute: Start by sautéing the onion, pepper, beef and sausage in a large pan over medium heat.
- Slow cook: Add the mixture to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours. That’s it!
How to thicken chili
The two different kinds of protein, onions, tomato and less broth thicken this paleo chili. A lot of times the beans are what makes chili nice and thick but we aren't using any in this recipe. Because of that, the ratio of ingredients is crucial so you don’t end up with watery chili!
You might not even realize you’re eating a healthy recipe when you eat this chili! That’s always my goal here on WMM. I love to make healthy recipes you actually look forward to making and eating. This recipe is no exception!
Prefer to watch instead of read?
Calories per serving
This paleo chili recipe has about 320 calories for one serving. It also tons of protein—23 grams to be exact! And if you’re doing a keto or low carb diet, there’s only 7 grams of carbs in a serving!
These calories don’t include all of the toppings. What's a chili recipe without it being loaded with yummy toppings?! Here are a few of my favorites!
What to serve with beanless chili
Top this paleo chili with cilantro, fresh cut onion, and avocado! When you get a big bowl you won’t even need a side dish!
I can't wait to hear what you think about this paleo chili! If you make it, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see it and feature you!
Other soup recipes:
- Slow cooker sweet potato chicken chili
- The best healthy chicken soup recipe
- 5 Ingredient Butternut Squash Soup (Paleo)
- Slow cooker chicken tortillas soup
- 1 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage casings removed and check ingredients for no corn syrup
- ½ tablespoon coconut oil to brown the meat
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper any color diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
- ½ (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 3/4 cups beef stock or bone broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Toppings: Cilantro, green onion, extra onion, cashew cream, avocado to top
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat in a large pan or cast iron skillet. Once, it's melted, add the onion and pepper and saute a few minutes. Add the ground pork the beef and cook until the beef and pork are browned and no pink remains.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients and spices. Stir well and cook on high heat for 3 hours or on low heat for 6 hours.