These are the best pumpkin cookies you will ever make! They melt in your mouth and are covered in a sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting. They freeze well and can even be made gluten free or dairy free.
You will love these old fashioned soft pumpkin cookies for fall! They're easy to make, and the cream cheese frosting with cinnamon is amazing.
When I was little, it was almost an everyday occurrence that we walked to the local bakery for root beers, individual french banquettes and these melt in your mouth pumpkin cookies.
- Unsalted butter: this one is key for the best cookies. We also tested them with a vegan butter and they turned out amazing.
- Granulated sugar: you have to make them sweet!
- Leaveners: baking soda and baking powder to make them nice and tall
- Spices: salt, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice
- Egg: this is a binder and helps bring the dough together.
- Vanilla: whatever vanilla extract you have on hand is great!
- Pumpkin: make sure you get canned pumpkin pure and not pumpkin pie mix!
- All-purpose flour: we also tested this with gluten free 1:1 baking flour and they were great.
- Cream cheese: this is for the frosting and gives a great tang to balance out the sweetness.
- Powdered sugar: you can't have cream cheese frosting without confectioners' sugar!
The cream cheese frosting with cinnamon is amazing. These are my absolute favorite and as an added bonus, they have them year-round.
Still to this day whenever I'm in town I will make a special trip just for these yummy cookies and sometimes my mom will even surprise me with a care package with a few cookies in it.
You will love these old fashioned soft pumpkin cookies for fall! They're easy to make, and the cream cheese frosting with cinnamon is amazing. We did our very best to recreate our favorite cookies (because a recipe that good is obviously top secret) and we think this recipe is pretty darn close.
I promise, your friends and family will wonder how the heck these things get so soft and melty. Do not go light on the frosting, the more the merrier. We hope you love them just as much as we do. HAPPY FALL!
Prefer to Watch Instead of Read?
Watch this quick video to see how they're made! You can also scroll down to the recipe card to make them with me in the kitchen.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More pumpkin desserts:
- Healthy pumpkin muffins
- Vegan pumpkin cheesecake
- Old fashioned pumpkin donuts
- Pumpkin spice pudding cookies
- Paleo pumpkin cookies
Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Cover a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice and beat until well combined.
- Add one egg and the vanilla then beat well, until yellow streaks are gone. Add the pumpkin pure and beat again until it's incorporated. Finally, add the flour and beat on medium speed until completely incorporated. Watch the video to see instructions on how to properly measure flour. The dough will be wet, this is what you want!
- Use a heaping tablespoon or medium sized cookie scoop to drop the dough a few inches apart on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until tops are set and no longer look wet. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Make the cream cheese frosting
- Beat together the softened butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until smooth and all of the lumps are gone.
- Sift in the powdered sugar then add the vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Once cookies are cool, frost with cream cheese frosting.