Healthy zuppa toscana is a classic Italian soup made with sausage and potatoes in a creamy broth. This healthy version is gluten free, dairy free and full of flavor. This Olive Garden inspired recipe is a perfect recipe for fall!
When fall hits, I’m so ready for all the soups. Not only are they great for throwing in the crock pot or on the stove, but they also make your house smell amazing and warm your soul. They’re great for leftovers or freezing too!
Scroll down to the recipe for dutch oven, slow cooker and instant pot cooking options.
Ingredients for zuppa toscana:
- 1 lb. hot or regular Italian sausage
- Reduced sodium chicken stock (bonus health points for using bone broth!)
- Onion and garlic
- Russet potatoes (use cauliflower instead for a low carb option)
- Chopped kale
- Coconut cream (helps thicken and make it creamy but keeps it dairy free!)
Is zuppa toscana healthy?
Zuppa toscana is naturally filled with healthy ingredients like kale and potatoes and protein from the sausage. This healthy zuppa toscana is made with olive oil, chicken broth and instead of heavy cream we’re keeping it really healthy with a dairy free coconut cream. Because of that, this recipe easily fits into a whole30, paleo, gluten free, dairy free, anti-inflammatory diet or whichever way you like to eat. Without comprimising taste!
To make this low carb: Swap out the potatoes for a chopped head of cauliflower to make it keto and low carb!
How to make healthy zuppa toscana:
Start by cooking Italian sausage in a large pot with some olive oil Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. Next, add the chicken stock, potatoes (or cauliflower), and seasonings. Bring it to a boil for about 10 minutes then add the kale and cream to combine! You can add a little tapioca flour to make it thicker if you want!
Crockpot: Cook the sausage, onion and garlic in a pan over medium heat then transfer to the slow cooker. Add the stock, spices and potatoes to the crock pot and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5-7 hours. Add cream and kale and mix well for 3 minutes before serving.
Instant pot: Select saute mode and cook sausage, onions and garlic. Add the broth, potatoes and spices and set to pressure cook/manual on high for 8 minutes. When it’s done, return to saute mode and add coconut cream and kale and cook until wilted, 2-3 minutes.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More healthy soups:
- Creamy chicken and rice soup [whole30]
- Healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
- 5 Ingredient butternut squash soup
- The best healthy chicken soup
- Paleo chili
Healthy zuppa toscana
- 1 lb. hot or regular Italian sausage casing removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups reduced sodium chicken stock (or bone broth)
- 1 white onion peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 russet potatoes cut into 1/2 inch cubes (or 1 head of cauliflower for low carb option)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups kale stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream top of canned coconut milk or can buy cream only
- 1 tablespoon cornstsrach or tapioca flour optional
- Warm a Dutch oven or 6-quart pot over medium-high hea with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add Italian sausage. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sausage as desired, until sausage is browned and cooked through.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant, then add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock, potatoes (or cauliflower), salt, and red pepper flakes to the sausage and onion. Boil uncovered until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the kale and coconut cream to the soup and stir to combine. Continue cooking the soup until the kale is wilted and tender, about 3 minutes more.
- For a thicker soup, remove ½ cup of the broth from the soup to a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca flour, mixing well until all lumps are gone. Place mixture back into the soup and allow to cook and boil for 1-3 minutes, until smooth and thickened.
- Taste and add additional salt and red pepper flakes to taste