Homemade healthy chicken enchiladas are made with a rich red sauce tossed with tender chicken and Mexican spices. Roll the filling and bake them with a layer of melty cheese. The whole family will love this easy dinner!
Are enchiladas healthy or unhealthy?
At their base form, enchiladas are a healthy recipe made with protein, carbs and fats. But like many recipes, some are healthier than others. They're also made with a sugar free enchilada sauce (We love the Siete enchilada sauce), black beans (fiber!) and protein-rich shredded chicken.
What tortillas to use
This recipe is made with a gluten and corn free tortilla, but here are more great options!
- Siete tortillas (they have almond flour or cassava flour options)
- Corn tortillas
- Gluten free tortillas
- Flour tortillas
What can I put in enchiladas?
Enchiladas are one of those recipes that can be a blank canvas. So many ingredients can be used in an enchilada recipe like chicken, beef, beans, corn, rice, sweet potatoes and more. Here's what's in this recipe:
- Shredded chicken is cooked over the stove, but you could use rotisserie chicken if you're short on time
- Black beans for fiber!
- Green chilis
How to Make Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- Cook the chicken: Season the chicken on both sides then cook in a saute pan or skillet over medium high heat. Cook for 6-7 minutes on each side then remove from heat, cool and shred.
- Make the filling: Next, cook the diced onion and garlic until translucent then add the rest of the filling ingredients, including the shredded chicken.
- Fill and top the tortillas: Warm the tortillas in the microwave to make them pliable, then fill them evenly with the chicken mixture. Roll them up and place them seam side down in a asserole dish bowl with the enchilada sauce then fill the tortilla with filling, roll and place seam side down in a 9x13 inch casserole pan. Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake: bake the healthy chicken enchiladas at 350°F for 15 minutes, until heated through and the sides are bubbling.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
- Instant pot salsa chicken
- Crispy Instant pot carnitas
- Gluten free Mexican lasagna
- Fiesta lime shrimp bowls
- Slow cooker Mexican chicken casserole
- Easy turkey taco stuffed peppers
- One pot taco pasta
- Chorizo tacos
Healthy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilis
- 1 (28 ounce) can red enchilada sauce no sugar added (I like El Pato or Siete brand)
- 12 corn tortillas or Siete tortillas almond, cassava or cashew flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Optional garnishes cilantro, sour cream, diced jalapenos, diced avocado, chopped tomatoes
- 9x13 Casserole Dish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a large 9x13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep saute pan over medium heat. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breast with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add to the pan with olive oil and cook chicken over medium heat for 6-7 minutes on each side, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove chicken to a cutting board to cool.
- To the pan, add the diced onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant. Add the black beans and diced green chilis to the onion and garlic and stir until combined. Reduce heat to low and allow to cook slightly while shredding the chicken.
- Use two forks to shred each chicken breast then place in the pan with the black beans and corn mixture. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the tortillas by heating them in the microwave for 30 seconds. This softens them and makes them more pliable to work with and roll. Dip each tortilla in a shallow bowl with 1/2 cup enchilada sauce then spoon 1/4 cup chicken and black bean mixture into the tortilla. Fold tortilla over filling and roll up. Place seam down at the end of the prepared baking dish. Repeat the process until all tortillas and filling are used and pan is full of enchiladas.
- Top prepared enchiladas with the rest of the sauce and top with shredded cheese if using. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Top with garnishes before serving.