This 10 minute air fryer asparagus is a healthy side dish to add flavorful veggies to any meal. The air fryer crisps the outsides for a crunchy exterior and tender, soft middle.
One of my recent goals is to incorporate greens into every meal. When you're a busy mom like me, sometimes that can be a tough ask. This air fryer asparagus has been a game changer for us. I serve these alongside cilantro lime chicken or add it to my simple salads each day. It's packed full of nutrients!
Benefits of asparagus
This super veggies is a great source of folic acid and it's full of fiber and vitamins like A, B6 and C. It's also chock full of antioxidants too. I really can't think of one reason not to eat asparagus!
Air fryer asparagus ingredients
One of the best things about making asparagus in the air fryer is the minimal ingredients list. Quick and easy is the best way to go!
- Cooking oil spray (we like avocado oil or olive oil spray)
- Optional: Nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese
How to cook asparagus in the air fryer
Here are the simple steps to cook air fryer asparagus. Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card for the printable recipe.
- Cut the woody ends off of the asparagus. The ends are really tough so when the stalk becomes tender, that's where you cut it off. It's about 2 inches from the end.
- Place the asparagus in the air fryer in an even layer, making sure they don't overlap.
- Spray them with cooking oil then season them with salt and sprinkle nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese on top if using.
- Air fry at 400°F for 7-10 minutes. If the asparagus is smaller, cook for less time and if they're on the thicker side they will need to cook longer. The asparagus in the images cooked perfectly at 8 minutes.
Cooking asparagus FAQs
Should you soak asparagus before cooking? No need to soak the asparagus before adding it to the air fryer. That's what I love about this recipe! Less than 10 minutes from start to finsih!
Can you cook asparagus too long? You'll know you've cooked it too long if it becomes too soft and mushy. For this recipe, pause the air fryer at 7 minutes to check if it's done to avoid overcooking.
How do you know when asparagus is done? You'll know it's done when it's fork tender and a little bit soft, but not overly mushy.
What to serve with roasted asparagus in the air fryer
- We love chopping up the asparagus into 2 inch pieces and adding it to a salad with chicken sausage and Tessemae's dressing.
- Serving it as a side dish with our favorite chicken recipes including cilantro lime chicken, easy pesto chicken, crock pot BBQ pulled chicken, Instant Pot honey mustard chicken or whole30 buffalo chicken dip.
If you love this recipe, don't forget to leave a star rating and comment with your review!
More healthy sides:
- Air fryer baked potato
- Maple cinnamon roasted butternut squash
- Pesto roasted potatoes
- Oven roasted maple glazed carrots
- Crispy balsamic brussels sprouts
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 lb asparagus washed and woody ends trimmed
- Cooking spray we like avocado oil or olive oil spray
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast or parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Air Fryer
- Wash and dry the asparagus well then cut the tough, woody ends off of the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus in an even layer in the air fryer basket.
- Lightly spray them with cooking spray then season with salt and either nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese if using.
- Air fry at 400°F (200°C) for 7 to 10 minutes. If you're asparagus is thinner, it will take less time to cook, but thicker stalks will take closer to 10 minutes to cook through. Pause the air fryer to check at 7 minutes. If they're not a little crispy and tender, place them back in for another minute or so.
- Serve right away or store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.