Make the best air fryer baked potato every time! These potatoes are soft and tender on the inside with a crispy, salty skin. Top them with butter, sour cream and chives or twice bake them with your favorite toppings. This is a classic side dish everyone loves!
Watch How to Make Air Fryer Baked Potatoes[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="Db1TUJ0i" upload-date="2021-03-08T20:49:38.000Z" name="Air Fryer Baked Potato" description="" player-type="collapse" override-embed="false"]
After trying this recipe, you won't want to make baked potatoes any other way! Making baked potatoes in the air fryer results in an evenly cooked potato with a super crispy skin (keep reading for more tips on this) and it typically takes less time than in the oven.
What are the best potatoes to use?
Russet potatoes are the best type for air frying and baking because the skins are thick and crispy up well. The insides are starchy for a nice and fluffy center.
Can you air fry sweet potatoes?
You can use a sweet potato instead of a traditional potato. The best variety of sweet potato is the jewel sweet potato with a deep red/orange skin. This is the one you see most often in the grocery store!
3 Simple Ingredients
- Russet potatoes
- Avocado oil spray: you can use traditional avocado oil but I find the spray to be easier and less messy. You could also use coconut oil or traditional cooking spray.
- Salt and pepper: sprinkle some on the outside before air frying!
How to make baked potatoes in the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes. I just set my timer to 5 minutes while I prep the potatoes.
- Wash and dry your potatoes really well. I like to scrub them and dry them with a clean towel.
- Next, use a fork to poke 6-8 holes in your potatoes.
- Spray each potato with cooking spray (I use avocado oil spray) and use your hands to make sure it's completely coated. Sprinkle each potato with salt and pepper.
- Place the potatoes in the air fryer basket (being sure not to overcrowd it) and air fry at 400°F for 40 minutes. There's do need to pause or turn the potatoes while they're cooking.
- Carefully open the basket and use a fork to pierce the potato to see if it's done. The fork should easily slide in and out of the potato. Cook for 5 more minutes if it needs more time and repeat the process until they're fully cooked. Cook times may vary based on the size of your potato.
- Split them open and serve with your favorite toppings.
Can you make them in the oven?
If you want to use the oven, simply follow the same directions to prep the potatoes then bake them at 400°F for 50-60 minutes, until they're fork tender.
Common Question about Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
Should you poke holes in the potatoes before cooking? Potatoes contain a good amount of moisture so, poking holes in them allows steam to escape. It doesn't happen often, but your potatoes can explode if that steam doesn't have somewhere to go.
Why do you salt the outside of the potato? The salt on the outside helps absorb some of the moisture lost during the cooking process and results in a fluffy potato. It also seasons the potato for extra flavor.
Can you make an air fryer baked sweet potato? This method works well with a sweet potato! Just swap them for a similar sized sweet potato and cook. The cook times may vary slightly.
How to know when it's ready: Pierce the potato with a fork and if it slides in and out easily, it's done!
How long to air fry a baked potato: Start by cooking a 6-8 ounce potato for 40 minutes then cook in 5 minute increments if needed until it's tender.
What temp to cook baked potatoes in the air fryer? Cook them at 400°F.
Make sure to check out the how-to video in the recipe card to watch me make these!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More potato recipes we love:
- Easy sweet potato gnocchi
- Chipotle roasted sweet potato kale salad
- Pesto roasted potatoes
- Rosemary roasted sweet potatoes
Air Fryer Baked Potato
- 4 large russet potatoes 8 ounces each (see notes if you need to make more)
- Cooking spray Avocado oil or coconut oil spray is best
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- For topping: butter vegan butter, salt, pepper, chives, sour cream
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes. While it’s preheating, prep your potatoes.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes then pat them dry with a towel. Poke 6-8 holes in each potato with a fork. Spray each potato with cooking spray then top each evenly with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the potatoes in your air fryer, being careful not to let them touch. Close the drawer and air fry at 400°F for 40 minutes. Test to make sure the potatoes are fork tender. If your fork doesn’t easily pierce the potato, cook for another 5 minutes until they are cooked all the way. Repeat this process until the potatoes are tender. This time may vary based on the size of your potatoes.
- Remove them from the air fryer and carefully slice them open down the middle. Serve them with butter, vegan butter, salt, pepper, sour cream and/or chives. See notes for twice baked potatoes.