These healthy sloppy joes are mad with simple pantry ingredients and so simple to make. Throw everything into the crockpot and come home to a paleo meal your family will love.
We're always looking for easy, healthy weeknight meals in our house. We can't get enough of things that taste so good but also don't take a ton of effort to make or clean. These healthy sloppy joes are just that!
What to serve with sloppy joes
If you're wanting to stick with healthy sides to go with your homemade sloppy joes, here are a few ideas!
- Serve over a baked sweet potato (my favorite!)
- Dairy free mashed potatoes
- Crispy brussel sprouts
- Brussel sprout salad
- Baked sweet potato fries
- Summer corn salad
Are sloppy joes good for you?
It depends on what sloppy joe recipe you're following, but this one is very healthy! It's paleo approved and I've even included a whole30 option. Even if you use a whole wheat or gluten free bun this recipe is super healthy and full of protein, veggies and healthy fat.
How many calories are in sloppy joes?
One serving of these sloppy joes has about 375 calories. This includes a whopping 32 grams of protein! If you want to eat it with a bun or a sweet potato add about 200 more ingredients depending on what you use.
Watch How to Make Healthy Sloppy Joes
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More easy paleo dinners:
- Korean shredded beef tacos
- One pan sausage, butternut squash and apples
- Slow cooker paleo chili
- Slow cooker sweet potato beef stew
- Taco stuffed sweet potatoes
Slow Cooker Healthy Sloppy Joes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef 80-85 % lean
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (omit for whole30 option)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or worsterchire
- 1 teaspoon brown or yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Sweet Potatoes (optional):
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- Heat coconut oil or olive oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the ground beef and brown until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Drain any fat.
- Place beef, onion and garlic in a 4 qt slow cooker. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on low 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours.
- An hour before you’re ready to serve, make the sweet potatoes if using. Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Coat the outside of the sweet potatoes with coconut oil then sprinkle with sea salt. Poke a few holes in the potatoes with a fork to release steam then bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until the outside is crisp and inside is soft. Serve sloppy joes inside sweet potatoes.