This instant pot salsa chicken recipe can be made with thawed or frozen chicken for an easy, healthy dinner recipe. Use it for tacos, over rice or on top of a salad! This easy recipe will become a go-to for your family.
I know instant pots can be kinda intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's really simple. That's why I want to cover some IP basics here so you feel confident using your IP!
Can you use frozen chicken in the instant pot?
Yep, you can put frozen chicken right into the IP. It's one of the best things about this instant pot salsa chicken recipe. You don't have to remember to thaw anything and you'll have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. It only takes a few extra minutes to make this instant pot chicken from frozen.
How long does it take to cook chicken in the pressure cooker?
For thawed chicken: Once the IP comes to pressure (10 minutes), the chicken will cook for 8 minutes. Allow to natural release for 5 minutes then quick release for a total of 23 minutes.
For frozen chicken: Once the IP comes to pressure (12 minutes), the chicken will cook for 10 minutes. Allow to natural release for 5 minutes then quick release for a total of 27 minutes.
What if my instant pot flashes "burn"?
Usually if this happens you don't have enough liquid in the bottom of the IP or you haven't moved the valve to the "sealing" position.
Fix it: turn the valve to "venting to let the steam quick release, open the lid and check the instant pot for burnt bits on the bottom. Remove them, add a bit more water or stock then continue cooking.
How to cook salsa chicken in instant pot:
- Start by adding salt and pepper to both sides of your chicken then place in the bottom of the instant pot.
- Cover the chicken with the salsa and chicken broth. Lock the lid and press "manual" or "pressure cook." Set the time for 8 minutes for thawed chicken or 11 minutes for frozen chicken.
- When the timer goes off allow to naturally release for 5 minutes then turn the valve to "venting" to quick release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board and shred with 2 forks.
- Add taco seasoning to the juices left in the IP and mix well until thickened. Add the chicken back into the pot and stir well.
How many chicken breasts are in a pound?
One pound of chicken is roughly 2 chicken breasts. This recipe calls for 2 pounds of chicken, which is about 3-4 chicken breasts.
How long to cook salsa chicken in the instant pot:
You'll cook the chicken for 8 minutes if the chicken is thawed and 11 minutes if the chicken is frozen.
What to serve with instant pot salsa chicken:
Salsa chicken is so great because it's easy to make, it's healthy and it goes with so many things:
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More Mexican meals:
- One pot taco pasta
- Slow cooker Mexican chicken casserole
- Easy turkey taco stuffed peppers
- Sheet pan chicken fajitas
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast about 3-4 chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1-16 ounce jar of mild salsa or your favorite salsa!
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro optional
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken then place in the bottom of the stainless steel instant pot. Pour the chicken broth over it and add the jar of salsa, covering the chicken breast.
- Lock the lid on the instant pot and make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” Press the pressure cook (Manual) button and set the timer for 8 minutes for thawed chicken and 11 minutes for frozen chicken. The instant pot will beep and then take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before counting down the cook time. It may take longer for the IP to come to pressure if the chicken is frozen.
- When the timer goes off, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release (do nothing) for about 5 minutes then use a spoon or towel to turn the valve to “venting” to quick release the steam. This way you don’t burn your hand with any steam.
- When the pressure is released, open the lid and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Set the instant pot to “soup” mode. Add the taco seasoning and stir well. Allow to simmer and thicken.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken with two forks. Place the shredded chicken back in the instant pot with the cooking liquid. Top with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Serve as tacos, over rice, with fajitas or in enchiladas.