This easy cashew queso recipe is smooth and creamy with bold Mexican flavors to pair with nachos, chips or even mixed with noodles. It takes minutes and only requires a few simple ingredients.
What does cashew queso taste like?
Cashew queso is a dairy free queso alternative with blended cashews as the base. When blended well, the cashews become smooth and creamy to mimic the cheese found in traditional queso! It's a little spicy, full of Mexican spices and delicious!
Is cashew cheese better for you?
This cashew queso dip very healthy and fits into so many diets. It's dairy free, gluten free, keto, vegan so everyone can enjoy it.
The simple ingredients
- Raw, unsalted cashews
- Nutritional yeast
- Chunky salsa
- Spices: chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt
How to make cashew queso
- Microwave the cashews: place the cashews in a microwave safe dish and fill it up with water to cover them. Microwave on high for 3 minutes then drain the water.
- Add the ingredients: While the cashews heat, add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of a high powdered food processor or blender. Add the drained cashews.
- Blend: Blend on high for 2 minutes then stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender. Blend again until completely smooth. If you don't have a strong blender (like a Vitamix) it could take up to 6-7 minutes to get it smooth.
Store in the fridge: place in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. It will get thicker as it chills.
Reheat: The queso doesn't do well reheated on it's own, so to rewarm it, add 2-3 tablespoons of very hot water and mix well. This will help thin out the queso from thickening in the fridge.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to leave a star rating and comment a review! You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it and feature you!
More dairy free dips:
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup mild chunky salsa (you could use medium or hot if you want it more spicy)
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Place the cashews in microwave safe dish or bowl and cover the cashews with water so they’re completely submerged. Microwave the cashews on high for 3 minutes.
- While the cashews are heating, add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or a high speed blender. When the cashews are done, carefully drain the cashews from the water and add them to the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend on high for 2 full minutes then stop and scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor. Blend again until smooth and creamy. The time it takes to blend will depend on how strong your blender is. If you have a high speed blender like a Vitamix it will go much faster. If it’s not as strong it could take another 6-7 minutes to become smooth.
- Serve right away or store in the fridge for up to 5 days. See notes for storage and reheating instructions.