Add all the ingredients for this mexican chicken casserole into your slow cooker and come home to a healthy dinner! This easy enchilada bake is naturally gluten free and super healthy. It also freezes really well!
Easy, healthy dinner recipes are my favorite. There's nothing better than enjoying a delicious recipe that was easy to make and makes you feel great. This mexican chicken casserole is just that. Easy to make and easy to clean!
Ingredients for mexican chicken casserole:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken broth
- Enchilada sauce (check ingredients for sugar!)
- Green chilis
- Black beans
- Mexican spices like cumin and chili powder
- Toppings like avocado, cheese, cilantro and tomatoes!
What is in a casserole?
Any food that can be served and cooked in the same dish is technically considered a casserole. That's why I love them so much! They're so easy to make and clean up. This easy mexican chicken casserole is all made in the slow cooker.
Can you bake uncooked quinoa?
Yes, even the quinoa in this dish is put into the slow cooker uncooked. While the slow cooker is warming and cooking the chicken and stock, it cooks the quinoa and the quinoa absorbs all the mexican flavors from the dish. By the time you open the lid, you'll have perfectly cooked chicken and quinoa, ready to eat.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymae so I can see it and feature you.
More easy mexican dishes:
Slow cooker mexican chicken casserole
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1lb)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, stock or bone broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce (check ingredients for sugar)
- 1-4.5 oz can green chilies
- 1 15-oz can corn
- 1 15-oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese if desired (omit for DF option)
- Chopped cilantro, avocado and tomatoes for serving
- Place chicken into a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Stir in chicken broth/stock, quinoa, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, onion, cumin and chili powder, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred using two forks.
- Stir chicken back into the slow cooker then top with cheese if using. Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted
- Serve with avocado, chopped cilantro and tomatoes
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting What Molly Made!