This healthy white chicken chili recipe is a clean eating meal you can throw in the crockpot and forget about. It's made with veggies, protein, beans and is still creamy even though it's dairy free. Not to mention it has 10 net carbs!
Chili is a classic fall dish. Whether you're meal prepping for the week, serving it at a tailgate or stashing it in the freezer for later, this healthy white chicken chili recipe is great for anything.
Ingredients for healthy white chicken chili:
This recipe includes the typical ingredients, but we're adding a few surprise ones to make it creamy, dairy free and a little spicy.
- Onion + Garlic
- Chicken broth
- White beans
- Fire roasted green chilis
- Coconut cream
- Chili spices: chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper
How many calories are in a cup of white chicken chili?
The average calories for one serving of this white chicken chili is about 360 calories. All of those calories are coming from lean protein, healthy fats, and carbs. The carbs are mostly from the veggies and beans which also give you lots of fiber.
How do you thicken white chicken chili?
To thicken chili you use a combination of beans, meat and veggies. The ratio of liquids (chicken broth) to added ingredients makes a difference. This recipe also calls for coconut cream, which makes this recipe rich and creamy.
If you want to make your chili thicker, consider adding more chicken, beans or cream to it.
How long should you cook chili?
Once you add all of the ingredients to the crock pot, the chili will cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. This will give the flavors enough time to simmer together and cooks the chicken so it's easy to shred.
Can I freeze this chili recipe?
Absolutely! Chili is one of the best recipes to freeze. You can either freeze it before cooking everything or freeze it when it's done if you have leftovers.
How to freeze before cooking: Add all of the ingredients to a large freezer bag and seal it shut. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in the fridge and dump everything into the crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
To freeze after cooking: Allow to cool and store in a large ziplock bag or air-tight container. Freeze up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge and warm up on the stove or in the microwave.
More healthy crock pot meals:
- Slow cooker sweet potato beef stew
- Slow cooker paleo chili
- Healthy slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
Slow Cooker Healthy White Chicken Chili (Dairy Free)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2- 15 ounce cans white cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1-15 ounce can corn drained
- 2 4- ounce cans diced fire-roasted green chiles undrained
- 3/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Freshly cracked pepper and fine sea salt
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts thawed and cut in half
- 2 cans 2 cups coconut cream
- Toppings: fresh lime juice cilantro, fresh avocados, jalapeños, Monterey Jack cheese, tortilla strips
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and saute for 4 minutes then add garlic and saute for 30 seconds longer. Transfer garlic and onion to a 6 quart Crock-Pot slow cooker.
- Add the chicken broth, drained and rinsed cannellini beans, corn, fire-roasted green chilis, oregano, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and mix gently. Place the chicken breasts in next and stir gently to make sure chicken is submerged in the liquid.
- Cover and cook on 4-6 hours on low or for 2-3 hours on high or until the chicken easily shreds.
- Remove the chicken from the crockpot and place in another bowl or on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Add coconut cream to the cooked chili and whisk gently until melted and combined. Add the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.