Meal prep for the week with this easy and healthy sheet pan burrito bowl recipe! It’s made with classic Mexican spices and is done in 30 minutes.
It’s no secret we’re obsessed with Taco Tuesday. We could eat Mexican daily and never get sick of it. We especially love Mexican meals that are easy and healthy👏🏻. So basically this sheet pan burrito bowl checks all our boxes.
If you love easy, healthy taco-inspired meals, then you’re going to love this recipe too!
It’s made with fresh veggies, rice and Al Fresco Mild Mexican Style Dinner Sausage. The sausage includes Hatch chiles and classic Mexican spices to enhance the taco flavors in this burrito bowl. It makes it even easier to cook because the sausage is pre-cooked!
Pro tip: we love to quickly fry it on the stovetop with veggies for a simple lunch or breakfast too!
Are burrito bowls healthy?
It all depends on whether it’s “healthy” based on your standards and what’s included in the recipe.
I would definitely classify this as healthy because it’s gluten free, dairy free, anti-inflammatory and filled with quality protein, veggies and carbs.
Can you reheat a burrito bowl?
This healthy burrito bowl reheats really well which makes it great for meal prep. If you don’t eat it right away, divide it into separate glass meal prep containers . Then when you’re ready to eat them, throw them in the microwave until warm.
Can you eat burrito bowls cold? Sure you can! You don’t have to warm it up if you don’t have access to a microwave, but I personally like it better warm.
How to make a burrito bowl:
Start by prepping your Mexican spices. Mix all of the spices in a small bowl and set aside. Next, cut all your ingredients! You’ll need to cut off the stems and seeds of 3 peppers and cut into 1 inch chunks then slice 1 yellow onion and the chicken sausage.
Next, Add it all to a VERY large sheet pan. Sprinkle with half the spice mixture and bake at 425°F for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add the pre-cooked rice and the rest of the spices, toss again to coat and cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve right away or store for meal prep!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it! Also, consider leaving a star review below!
This recipe is sponsored by Al Fresco. Thank you to brands like this that believe in me and my recipes and allow me to continue to share free recipes with you! #AlfrescoAmbassador #Ad
More Mexican-inspired recipes:
- One Pot Taco Pasta
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers
Sheet Pan Burrito Bowl
- 1 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 sweet bell peppers any color (I used, yellow, red and green)
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 12 ounce package of Al Fresco Mild Mexican Style Chicken Sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil separated
- 1 15- ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 8.8 ounce packages pre cooked jasmine rice or 3 cups of leftover cooked rice
- Optional for serving: fresh lime juice fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, avocado
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a very large sheet pan with parchment paper, foil or spray with non-stick coconut oil spray. You may need to use two sheet pans if yours isn’t large enough.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Stem and seed the peppers then cut into 1-2-inch pieces and place on the prepared sheet pan. Halve and thinly slice the onion and add them to the sheet pan with the peppers. Slice the Al Fresco Mexican Style dinner sausage on the bias in 1/2 – 1 inch pieces and add to the pan.
- Drizzle everything with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the prepared seasoning mix. Toss to thoroughly coat then bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- When the 25 minutes is up, remove the sheet pan from the oven and add the pre-cooked rice and black beans to the sheet pan. Add the other 2 tablespoons of oil and the rest of the seasoning and toss to coat. Place back in the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with fresh cilantro and parsley and serve with a squeeze of lime juice and avocado.