Healthy instant pot beef stroganoff is a lighter version of a classic and it's made quickly in the pressure cooker. This easy dinner recipe is a creamy (and dairy free!), filled with protein from the stew meat and can even be made gluten free with noodles.
Isn't beef stroganoff a classic recipe? It reminds me so much of my childhood because we used to have it all the time. It's delicious, creamy and even easier to make in the instant pot!
Here's some helpful tips to make this recipe perfectly in the instant pot every time. Don't let that pressure cooker intimidate you!
How long does it take to cook egg noodles in the instant pot?
It only takes 5 minutes to cook egg noodles in the instant pot. You'll need about 5-7 minutes to allow your instant pot to come to pressure before it starts counting down, so about 10-15 minutes total from when you start it.
What kind of beef is used for instant pot beef stroganoff?
I like to use boneless sirloin steak cut up into 1-inch chunks for beef stroganoff. If you can't find it in the beef section you can ask your local butcher for it! You could also opt for a traditional package of "stew meat" that you can find in the beef section as well. Both will work!
Beef is an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is one of the most satisfying nutrients. Eating a protein-rich diet will help students feel full all day and prevent overeating during meals for back to school time!
What is stroganoff sauce made of?
Stroganoff sauce is a creamy mixture of beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, mushrooms, spices and sour cream. However, I wanted to make this healthy beef stroganoff so I opted for coconut cream instead of sour cream to make it dairy free! You could also use plain greek yogurt.
How do I thicken beef stroganoff?
There are two things I use to thicken this instant pot beef stroganoff: tapioca flour and coconut cream. The tapioca flour is a thickening agent similar to cornstarch, but it's grain and gluten free to make it a little healthier. The cream helps thicken it too!
A few Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Tips:
- Get familiar with the "saute" button on your instant pot. You'll use it in this recipe to cook the onions and sear the outsides of the beef. It's just like using a stovetop!
- Make sure your lid is completely closed and the valve on the top is pointed to "sealing" when you start.
- Once you hit "manual" or "pressure cook" it will take about 10 minutes to come to pressure before it starts counting down. You'll have to do this when you cook the beef and the noodles.
- Use a long wooden spoon to do a quick release of the instant pot. This just means you move the valve from "sealing" to "venting."
More easy beef recipes:
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
This recipe was sponsored by Ohio Beef. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to brands like Ohio Beef who believe in me so I can keep sharing free recipes with you!
Instant Pot Beef stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds boneless sirloin steak (or stew meat) cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos for sugar free)
- 3 cups reduced sodium beef broth divided
- 16 ounces sliced baby Bella cremini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles gluten free if desired
- 1 cup coconut cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- chopped fresh parsley optional for serving
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode. Add the olive oil to the pot and heat. Once hot, add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to soften 2-3 minutes. Next, add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute. Stirring often.
- Add the cubed beef to the pot then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides, about 4-6 minutes. The meat does not need to be cooked all the way through.
- Add the worcestershire sauce or coconut aminos to the pot then add ½ cup of beef broth. Stir, scraping down the sides to deglaze the pot so no bits of food are stuck on the bottom of the pot.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the tapioca flour with the remaining beef broth until dissolved then add to the pot. Stir in the mushrooms. Close and seal the lid and cook on high pressure (manual) for 10 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the instant pot to reach pressure before counting down 10 minutes.
- When the time is up, immediately vent the Instant Pot to quick release the pressure, being careful not to burn your hand with the steam. When it’s all released, remove the lid and add the uncooked egg noodles to the pot.
- Recover the Instant Pot, seal, and cook on high pressure (manual) for 5 more minutes to cook the noodles. When the time is up, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes, then immediately vent to release any remaining pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and stir. Let the stroganoff cool for a few minutes, then stir in the Greek yogurt or coconut cream. Serve hot, sprinkled with fresh parsley and additional salt and pepper to taste.