In 20 minutes or less, you'll have easy coconut curry chicken on the table! This healthy dinner is dairy and gluten free!
Maybe you've had curry a million times and you're searching for the perfect recipe, or maybe you haven't tried it and are curious about what it tastes like.
Either way, you've come to the right place! Because this coconut curry chicken will impress the fans of curry and those that are new to it.
What does red curry taste like?
Red curry is a little spicy and a little sweet. The red color comes from red chilis in the base that are crushed with garlic, onion, ginger and spices like turmeric, coriander and cumin.
It's why I love incorporating it into my anti-inflammatory diet!
How to make coconut curry chicken:
- Start by seasoning the cubed chicken with coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper and set aside.
- Saute the onion, garlic, pepper, and red curry paste in a large skillet until soft. Add the chicken and sear to create a crust on the outside.
- Next, add the coconut milk, lime juice, ample syrup and simmer until it's thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Thicken it further by removing some of the sauce, adding tapioca flour then mixing it back into the curry. Allow to simmer for a few minutes until thickened more.
- Serve with cilantro and rice!
How to store this recipe:
Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and warm on the stove or in the microwave!
Don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
If you love this recipe, you'll love this vegetarian sweet potato curry!
Coconut Curry Chicken
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil separated
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger minced
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 can full fat canned coconut milk
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup omit for whole30 option
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- To serve: fresh chopped cilantro basmati rice or cauliflower rice
- Combine the coriander, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cubed chicken and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and allow to melt and get hot then add the diced onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, grated ginger and red curry paste and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add one more tablespoon of coconut oil then add the sliced bell pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the pepper is starting to soften. Add the seasoned cubes of chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken is browned on all sides. It does not need to be cooked all the way through.
- Add the coconut milk, lime juice and maple syrup and stir until the sauce thickens a bit and chicken is cooked all the way through, 3-5 minutes. It should reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of the sauce into a small bowl and add the tapioca flour. Mix well until it is dissolved then pour it back into the curry. Stir and heat for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.