This healthy instant pot mongolian beef and broccoli recipe is such an easy, healthy weeknight meal idea! This recipe can be made in under 30 minutes and it's tasty, healthy and kids will love it.
With back to school here, this instant pot mongolian beef recipe will be a life saver! I know schedules get crazy and kids come home hungry so having an easy recipe they will love is key.
This school year, thousands of families across Ohio (I live in Columbus!) will buy beef. I was amazed when I found out that Ohioans spend $4.1 billion each year on beef to use in healthy meals. You know I'm one of them!?? Because I'll be making this instant pot mongolian beef recipe on repeat.
I even made a double batch of this recipe and meal prepped it for a few weeks. You can freeze it and defrost it to have a week or so later.
You can even make this recipe directly from frozen beef. I love that about an instant pot! You can safely cook frozen beef in an Instant Pot without thawing which makes weeknight dinners so easy. Anyone else forget to defrost meat in the morning!?
The other recipe I love about this is it's so healthy. I don't know about you, but I don't like as much brown sugar in my dinner as in an entire cookie recipe, so I stuck to a healthy ingredients for this healthy instant pot mongolian beef.
And everything in this recipe is healthy too!
Is beef healthy?
Beef is definitely a healthy part of a balanced diet and I love eating it a couple of times a week. It's such a good source of protein too!
A 3-ounce serving of beef (about the size of an iPhone) provides more than 10 essential nutrients and 25 grams of protein for less than 150 calories. Not to mention, eating protein helps your kiddos stay focused during the school day and the B vitamins in beef provide them with energy too.
I was a student athlete all through middle school and high school and I know that if your kids are active, eating beef is a great source of protein and energy! My husband (who's a health coach!) always says we need to be eating more protein to help build muscle and strong bodies.
Yay for high protein diets!
How is this Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe healthier?
The reason this instant pot mongolian beef recipe is healthier is it doesn't have all of the sugar the typical mongolian beef recipe has. I used a little honey to sweeten it instead of brown sugar.
I also opted to use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce. Coconut aminos tastes just like soy sauce but doesn't have any soy in it! If you don't mind having soy in your diet you can definitely use soy sauce, but I love the coconut aminos! You can get it at any grocery store
The broccoli in this recipe also makes it healthy and balanced. Broccoli is a really good source of vitamins K and C and it's a great source of folate and provides potassium and fiber. Add that to the protein from the beef and you've got yourself a balanced meal!
How to make instant pot mongolian beef and broccoli:
Start buy slicing the flank steak against the grain. You'll notice there are small fibers going across the beef. You'll want to cut the steak in small thin pieces across those. This makes the beef really tender and not chewy!
Once you've cut all the beef, turn your instant pot on to "saute" then add the beef to quickly sear it on each side. While it's searing, whisk together the sauce ingredients then cancel the saute option and poor the sauce over the beef. Lock the lid on the instant pot then push the pressure cook button and set the time for 11 minutes.
While it's cooking, mix together the corn starch and water then when it's done, add the mixture, honey and cut up broccoli to the beef and turn the saute function back on. Mix everything together until the sauce gets thick!
Serve with brown rice or quinoa! That's it:) It should only take 20-30 minutes from start to finish!
Thank you to The Ohio Beef Council for sponsoring this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are my own. I'm so thankful to brands like them who support my mission of providing easy, healthy meals so I can continue to provide you with free recipes!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to tag me on Instagram with @what_mollymade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see it and feature you!
Healthy Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 1/3 cup liquid coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root grated
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 stalks green onion (scallions)
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups broccoli florerts chopped small
- sesame seeds to top optional
- 2 cups quionoa or brown rice for serving optional
- Cook the brown rice or quinoa according to the package instructions and set aside.
- Thinly slice the flank steak against the grain and set it aside. Turn on the Instant Pot and press the "Saute" button. Allow it to heat up then add the steak and sear quickly on each side.
- While the steak is searing, whisk together the coconut aminos or soy sauce with the minced garlic, minced ginger, and water.
- When the steak is browned, cancel the saute feature on the Instant Pot and pour the liquid mixture over the browned steak. Lock on the lid and push the manual (or pressure cook) button on the Instant Pot and adjust the time to 11 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, whisk together the corn starch and 3 tablespoons of cold water
- When the Instant Pot beeps, release the vent all at once, then carefully open the lid. Stir in the honey then stir in the corn starch and water mixture then add the chopped broccoli.
- Push the "Saute" button again and heat the beef and sauce, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and the broccoli is cooked, about 3-5 minutes.
- Serve the Mongolian beef over brown rice or quinoa and top with chopped scallions and sesame seeds.