This avocado dip features a few simple ingredients like ripe avocados, fresh cilantro, and Greek yogurt, and takes less than 5 minutes to blend together. Serve this creamy dip with chips or veggies at your next party—it's the perfect appetizer!
Dips are a staple in our house. When we go visit my parents there are always snacks involved. There's usually healthy guacamole on the table alongside boursin cheese and crackers.
I thought it was time to come up with a twist so we aren't having the same thing every time. Enter this creamy avocado dip!
Reasons to Love this Creamy Avocado Dip Recipe
- You only need 4 main ingredients.
- It takes 5 minutes to make.
- Perfect party it— it goes with everything and everyone loves it.
- Easy to customize.
- Pack in healthy fats and dietary fiber.
- It lasts longer than guacamole before turning brown.
Ingredients You'll Need
Here are the basic ingredients for this avocado dip. They're affordable and easy to find at the grocery store. Jump down to the recipe card for exact measurements.
- Avocados: a perfectly ripe avocado is just barely soft to the touch and leaves a small indent when you press into the skin. a
- Greek Yogurt: use this to give the recipe a creamy texture and bonus points for adding protein. You can also use sour cream. Keep it dairy-free with a plant-based plain yogurt.
- Lime juice: like classic guacamole, lime juice adds acid to balance out the flavor and add brightness. A squeeze of lemon juice works too, but it won't have as much Mexican flavor.
- Seasoning: Garlic powder, cumin, and kosher salt add flavor.
- Cilantro: adds freshness and more flavor!
How to Make Avocado Dip
The full printable recipe is below, but let’s walk through the steps with some photos and a video so you have a clear idea of what to expect. This delicious dip is really easy and these step-by-step instructions will make sure they turn out every time.
Video: Watch How to Make Avocado Dip
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender.
Blend for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as needed. If you're using a blender, you may need to use a tamper to keep the ingredients moving—this dip is thick and creamy!
For a more rustic and chunky dip, add everything to a bowl and mix together with a potato masher, leaving some large chunks of avocado.
Transfer the avocado dip to a serving bowl or dish, sprinkle more cilantro on top of the dip, and serve with corn chips, fresh veggies, crackers, or plantain chips.
Though both are dips with avocado as the base, guacamole is a dip made with veggies like tomatoes and onion and avocado dip is made with coconut cream. But both are made with lime juice, salt and cilantro! You can use them interchangeably, it just depends which one you're in the mood for!
This avocado dip is really healthy! It's made with lots of healthy fats and it's still dairy free. Serve it with a healthy side and you've got a healthy appetizer that everyone will love!
If you want to make this dip but you don't have avocados that are ripe, stick them in a brown paper bag and add a banana or apple if you have one. This should help ripen it up quicker!
How to Serve Avocado Dip
I love healthy dippers for this avocado dip to keep it healthy! Here are some of my favorite things to use to dip:
- Tortilla chips (corn chips or grain free chips like Siete tortilla chips)
- Sliced veggies like carrots, celery, and red peppers.
- Plaintain chips, especially the ones from Trader Joe's.
Store leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It doesn't get brown as quickly as a classic avocado recipe, but it's still a good idea to cover the surface with plastic wrap to avoid any browning if you plan to store it for longer than 1 day. You can also add some extra lime juice to the top or stick the pit of the avocado in the dip to help it last longer.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to give me a star rating and tag me on Instagram with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More Dip Recipes
Love avocado? Try this classic guacamole recipe next (it's my all-time favorite guac!). And if you're in the mood for another creamy dip, this cottage cheese dip, whipped goat cheese dip, or homemade Boursin cheese are all delicious.
Creamy Avocado Dip
- 3 large avocados pitted and peeled
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or sour cream dairy-free if needed (Note 1)
- 2 Tableespoons lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- To serve: tortilla chips, sliced veggies, plantain chips, or crackers
- Food processor or high-speed blender
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender as needed. If you're using a blender, you may need to use a tamper to keep the ingredients moving—this dip is thick and creamy! For a more rustic and chunky dip, add everything to a bowl and mix together with a potato masher, leaving some large chunks of avocado.
- Transfer the avocado dip to a serving bowl or dish, sprinkle more cilantro on top of the dip, and serve with corn chips, fresh veggies, crackers, or plantain chips.