This healthy spinach artichoke dip is an easy and healthy appetizer for parties, the super bowl or a dinner party. It's dairy free, low carb and anti-inflammatory. Everyone will love how creamy this healthy dip is!
One of my favorite parts about any party is all the apps. I could eat appetizers for every meal and be happy. And with NYE coming up I thought it was the perfect time to share a healthy appetizer recipe.
My aunt makes artichoke dip every Thanksgiving or Christmas and it's been one of my favorites for years. This year I saw it and decided I wanted to make a healthy spinach and artichoke dip version.
Is spinach artichoke dip healthy?
This healthy spinach and artichoke dip is so healthy because it's made with all clean ingredients. It's also vegan, dairy free, low carb and fits into any anti-inflammatory diet. It's even paleo and whole30 approved! If you're following any way of eating starting in the new year you might as well get a jump start with this yummy app.
Ingredients for healthy spinach artichoke dip:
- Fresh spinach
- Paleo Mayo made with olive oil (I used Primal Kitchen)
- Coconut cream (from the top of canned coconut milk)
- Nutritional yeast (you can buy it at the bulk food section at whole foods). This gives it a parmesan cheese flavor!
- Tapioca starch (for thickening)
- Lemon juice
How do you make healthy spinach artichoke dip?
To make this healthy spinach artichoke dip, start by sauteing the garlic and onions in coconut oil or ghee. Next, add the fresh spinach and cook until it wilts. It's going to seem like a lot of spinach, but it will cook down. Next add the artichokes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the dairy free cream mixture, mix together the coconut cream, paleo mayo, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and tapioca starch with a few more dashes of salt and pepper. Mix in the spinach artichoke mixture into the cream and stir well. Pour into a greased 8x8 backing dish (or something similar) and bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes.
How do you make spinach artichoke dip with fresh spinach?
To make this healthy spinach artichoke dip with fresh spinach, cook it down on the stove with onions and garlic for about 5 minutes. You'll use a huge tub of it for this recipe. It will seem like too much but it will cook down and soften when you're cooking it.
What to serve with healthy spinach artichoke dip:
If you want to keep this dip healthy, there are a few options to serve with this healthy spinach artichoke dip!
- Simple Mills Almond Flour Crackers
- Rice Crackers
- Sweet potato chips
- Plaintain chips
How many calories are in spinach artichoke dip?
This recipe serves between 8-10 people. If everyone eats that amount there would be between 180-210 calories per serving. There are 1,890 calories in the entire recipe.
Can I make spinach artichoke dip ahead of time?
Yep, you can easily make this spinach artichoke dip ahead of time! Follow the recipe directions until just before you put it in the oven. Cover it tightly and place in the refrigerator for up to three days. When you're ready to serve it, preheat the oven to 400°F and bake it until it's hot and bubbling, about 30 minutes.
This is such an easy and healthy appetizer! You're going to love it and so will all your vegan, paleo, keto, whole30 friends! It's extra healthy, but not missing any creamy flavor.
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More healthy appetizers:
Healthy spinach artichoke dip
- 1 tablespoon ghee grass fed butter or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 oz fresh baby spinach roughly chopped
- 14 oz can organic artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup paleo mayo I used Primal Kitchen
- 1 can full fat coconut milk cream only from the top of the can or you can purchase coconut cream separately
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast for parmesan flavor
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon tapioca starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish, or dish of similar size, with non stick spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the ghee. Once melted, add the diced onions and cook until soft and transluscent. Next, add the garlic and continue to cook until just softened and fragrant. Add the spinach and sautée until wilted, about 5 minutes. It will seem like a lot of spinach but it will cook down. Then add artichokes and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To make the cream mixture, in a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk, combine the paleo mayo, coconut cream, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tapioca starch and more salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and artichoke mixture to the cream mixer, discarding any extra liquid from the bottom of the pan. Mix well until fully combined. Dump dip into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes in the pre-heated oven or until heated through and bubbling on the sides.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with sweet potato chips, carrots, celery or almond flour crackers.