This sweet potato hummus is a healthy dip without chickpeas. It’s an easy and delicious appetizer recipe that can be made quickly. Dip veggies, crackers or pita for a healthy start to a meal or snack for a party.
Have you ever made your own hummus? I know it sounds extra daunting, but it really isn’t too bad! All you need is a food processor and some ingredients and you can make this sweet potato hummus at home.
Do chickpeas upset your stomach or just not agree with you? Me too. I love hummus so much but sometimes my stomach doesn’t love it as much as my tastebuds do. To work around that, I wanted to make a sweet potato hummus as another healthy option!
This recipe is made without chickpeas and it just so happens to be gluten free, paleo and whole 30 friendly.
How to make sweet potato hummus:
To make this recipe, start by cooking the sweet potatoes. Peel them and then cook them in a boiling pot of water, but if you’re on a time crunch you can totally make them in the microwave.
Combine the cooked sweet potatoes with the rest of the ingredients in the bowl of a large food processor and pulse for several minutes until all of the ingredients are broken down and the mixture becomes smooth just like traditional hummus!
What does sweet potato hummus taste like?
If you’re a lover of sweet potatoes you will love this sweet potato hummus! They’re the base of this savory dip and then there’s a nice garlic and herb flavor too. I love dipping carrots and celery into this!
Can you freeze sweet potato hummus?
You can freeze this sweet potato hummus! If you have leftovers, just place in a ziplock back and make sure it’s air tight. Place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw in the freezer the day or two before serving again.
I can’t wait for you to try this healthy spin on a classic hummus recipe! If you love it, don’t forget to share a picture on Instagram with #whatmollymade or @what_mollymade!
Here are a few other healthy appetizers:
Sweet Potato Hummus
- 5 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- roasted red peppers to top optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add the peeled and cut up sweet potatoes and cover with lid. Boil for 30-40 minutes then drain once cooked
- Add cooked sweet potatoes to the bowl of a food processor. Add tahini, garlic, lemon juice, sea salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until completely smooth.
- Transfer to bowl and serves with fresh veggies, crackers or pita.