Banana baked oatmeal is filled with dark chocolate chips and topped with almond butter and extra bananas. This healthy breakfast recipe is easy to make and store so you can have breakfast all week.
Baked oatmeal is such a simple, healthy breakfast and it's great to prep in advance and warm up easily during the week. Our daughter absolutely loves this recipe, though we leave out the chocolate chips for her! We're obsessed with all banana oatmeal breakfast recipes if you couldn't tell by our banana oatmeal pancakes and 3 ingredient banana oatmeal cookies.
- Mashed banana: this recipe calls for about 2-3 mashed bananas. The number will vary based on how big your bananas are!
- Eggs: large, organic eggs if possible!
- Pure maple syrup: this adds a little sweetness but can be omitted if you wish! You'll still get the sweetness from the banana.
- Rolled oats: I opted for a gluten free rolled oat, but any rolled oat works well.
- Spices and leaveners: vanilla, cinnamon, salt and baking powder
- Chocolate chunks: We used a dairy free and allergy friendly chocolate from Enjoy Life or Hu Kitchen. You can leave this out!
Can You Use Steel Cut or Quick Oats?
Steel cut oats and quick oats will yield a very different texture than rolled oats so i don't recommend using them in this banana baked oatmeal.
How to Make Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Mix: Whisk together the mashed banana, eggs, milk, pure maple syrup and vanilla in a large bowl. Lumps from bananas are okay. Stir in oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined then gently stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Bake: Pour the oatmeal mixture into a greased square baking dish, sprinkle with a few extra dark chocolate ships then put it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set and light golden brown on top.
Ingredient Swaps and Variations
- Make it vegan: use two flax eggs by mixing 2 tablespoons of flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water then let it rest in the fridge for 15 minutes before using it in the recipe. Please note i haven't tested this, but i do think it will work! Plus it adds even more fiber!
- Add peanut butter: include some healthy fats by mixing 1/3 cup peanut butter into the batter. Our favorite brand is Wild Friends! Peanut butter and banana are the best combo.
- Omit the chocolate chunks: while they do add soo much delicious flavor, you can simply leave them out if you don't want them.
- Add blueberries: instead of chocolate chips, you can stir in 1 cup of fresh blueberries before baking and it's soo good.
- Turn them into banana baked oatmeal cups: instead of putting the batter into a square baking dish, divide it evenly into muffins tins sprayed with non stick spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Storage and Freezer Instructions
Fridge: allow to cool completely then cut into squares and store in a large air tight container or store in individual bags/containers for on the go.
Freezer: allow to cool completely then place in an even layer on a sheet pan to freeze. Once solid, transfer to a storage bag or container to save space. Thaw overnight in the fridge and warm in the microwave.
How to Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Top it with fresh fruit (like berries into bananas) or jam
- Spread peanut butter on top for a little extra healthy fats
- Leave it plain and simple!
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More banana oatmeal recipes
- Banana oatmeal pancakes
- 3 Ingredient banana oatmeal cookies
- Banana oatmeal waffles (freezer friendly!)
Chocolate Chip Banana Baked Oatmeal
- 1 cup mashed banana 2-3 large bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups dairy free milk I used cashew milk but almond or coconut works too
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats gluten free if desired
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks dairy free if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper or lightly grease with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed banana, eggs, milk, pure maple syrup and vanilla and whisk until combined. Lumps from bananas are okay. Stir in oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined then gently stir in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into prepared baking dish, sprinkle with a few extra dark chocolate ships then put it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until set and light golden brown on top. Allow to cool in the baking dish for at least 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with more bananas, fresh fruit, maple syrup or nut butter.