Naturally sweetened and easy to make, these healthy banana muffins will be a new favorite, especially for kids! No mixer required—you only need one bowl! They're gluten free and made with almond flour and no sugar. I can't wait for you to make his simple recipe!
How to ripen bananas quickly:
Preheat your oven to 300°F and place the unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. Start checking them a few minutes before to make sure they aren't leaking onto the pan. Allow to cool before using them in the recipes!
Other ingredients you need:
- 3 very ripe bananas
- almond flour
- tapioca flour (starch)- you can find this at any grocery store! It's cheap!
- coconut oil
- almond butter
- cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt
Are banana muffins healthy?
These banana muffins are super healthy! In fact, they're paleo and can even be made whole30. They're naturally sweetened with the bananas and they're made with healthy fats like almond butter and coconut oil.
Is there something in this recipe you don't have on hand or don't like? Here are some simple swaps you can make to this recipe!
- Instead of maple syrup: try coconut sugar, raw honey or completely omit for the whole30 version
- Instead of almond flour: try oat flour
- Instead of both flours (almond + tapioca): try an even swap for cassava flour or white whole wheat flour
- Instead of almond butter: try cashew butter
- Add in! try dairy free chocolate chips or walnuts for an extra crunchy texture
How to make healthy banana muffins:
Start by mashing the bananas with the back of a fork. Next, combine all of the wet ingredients in the large bowl with the mashed banana. Whisk well to mix the eggs and combine all the ingredients into a smooth consistency. It's okay if some lumps remain from the bananas.
Add all of the dry ingredients and whisk gently until just combined, being careful not to over-mix or you can end up with a dense muffin.
Pour the muffin batter into 12 lined and sprayed muffin cups. Bake at 350°F for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
Serve warm with almond butter, grass-fed butter plain!
Can you freeze banana muffins?
Bananas are a great recipe for freezing. Bake all the way through then allow to cool completely. Store in an air tight container or large freezer bag. Thaw overnight and warm up in the microwave before eating. They'll last up to 6 months in the freezer!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
Also! Consider leaving a star review if you love it!
More healthy banana recipes:
- The best paleo banana bread
- Healthy banana cake
- Healthy banana bread
- 3 ingredient healthy banana oatmeal cookies
- Banana oatmeal pancakes
- Chocolate chip banana baked oatmeal
Healthy banana muffins
- 3 large bananas or (4 small ones) mashed
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted and cooled
- ¼ cup creamy almond butter sugar free
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup omit for whole30 option
- 1 3/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chunks or 1 cup of walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners. Spray the liners with non stick spray and set aside.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl then add the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, creamy almond butter and maple syrup and whisk well until combined.
- Add the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk to combine everything, being careful not to overmix or the muffins could become dense.
- In a large bowl, stir together the mashed banana, eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, almond butter and maple syrup until well combined. Add all of the dry ingredients and mix well. Add chocolate chips and mix well if you’re using them. Being careful not to overmix. Mix in the walnuts or chocolate chips if using.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tins almost all the way full. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool in the muffin tins for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Serve warm with almond butter or grass fed butter.