These creamy, spicy buffalo chicken zucchini boats are so easy to make they only require 2 steps. Sneak some veggies into a dinner that's low carb and really healthy.
I originally had this idea after soo many people fell in love with this dairy free buffalo chicken dip.
This recipe can also be made for dinner! It's large enough to serve to a family or you can cut them into smaller pieces and serve them to your friends for a party.
This is a healthy dinner recipe that's easy to make and really low carb! If you know me or know this site well, you know I'm all about the easy, healthy weeknight meals. Anything to make your life easier during the week (and keep ya healthy!) is a recipe I love.
Are buffalo chicken zucchini boats healthy?
These buffalo chicken zucchini boats are very healthy! The base of a stuffed zucchini boat is a veggie, so instead of using a refined carb or bread, this recipe adds extra veggies to our diet! I also used coconut cream and paleo mayo instead of the traditional cream cheese and a little bit of ranch seasoning with the hot sauce.
This stuffed zucchini boats recipe is low carb and dairy free so it fits perfectly into a keto or whole30 diet! It's high in fat and low in carbs!
Can you eat zucchini skin?
Yes, you can eat zucchini skin. However, you'll want to make sure the zucchinis isn't waxed. If there's a waxy layer on the outside of the skin, do your best to wash as much off as possible. Sometimes larger zucchini can be bitter so be sure to test it out.
If the skin is bitter on your zucchini just peel it off before stuffing it!
How to make buffalo chicken zucchini boats
- Start by washing your zucchini and cutting of the ends. Then slice them down the middle length-wise and place the middle side up. Scoop out the seeds and the middle leaving 1 inch from the sides of the zucchini. Reserve the middles for another recipe like paleo zucchini bread.
- Add all of the buffalo chicken filling to a bowl and mix well.
- Fill your hollowed out zucchini with the buffalo chicken mixture then place it in a pre-heated oven and bake until warm and bubbly.
How long does it take to bake zucchini at 400 degrees?
Usually zucchini only takes about 25 minutes to bake in the oven at 400°F, but this recipe calls for the zucchini boats to be baked for 35-40 minutes.
This will make sure the zucchini is cooked through, the buffalo chicken mixture is warm and the top is melted!
Prefer to watch instead of read?
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! It's so easy, healthy and tasty!
If you make this recipe, don't forget to tag me on Instagram with @What_MollyMade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see it and feature you!
Note: this recipe was update with ingredients and images on 7/22/21/
Buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats
- 4 medium zucchini sliced in half lengthwise (try to find zucchini that are similar in size)
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked shredded chicken breast or rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup paleo mayo
- 1 cup coconut cream (full fat from the can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup hot sauce (we used Frank's Red Hot) use less if you want it less spicy
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and grease a large baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- Use a large spoon to hollow out the centers of each zucchini half, leaving about 1/2-inch rim to create boats. Place the hollowed out zucchinis on the large baking pan lined with foil. Set aside.
- Add the shredded chicken, mayo, coconut cream, garlic powder, dill, chives, paprika, lemon juice and hot sauce to a medium bowl and mix well until combined.
- Spoon the buffalo chicken mixture evenly into prepared zucchini boats then bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until the zucchini is tender and the buffalo chicken is just slightly browned on top.
- Top with a paleo-friendly ranch (we like Tessamae's), fresh chives, parsley or scallions.