Buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats are an easy zucchini boat recipe made with chicken, cheese, and hot sauce. This recipe for stuffed zucchini boats is healthy, easy and low carb (keto approved!).
I originally had this idea after I remembered this buffalo chicken casserole from a few years ago. With football and tailgating season upon us, I knew I wanted a recipe that could be turned into an appetizer.
But this recipe can also be made for dinner! It’s large enough to serve to a family or you can cut them into smaller pieces and serve them to your friends for a party.
This is a healthy dinner recipe that’s easy to make and really low carb! If you know me or know this site well, you know I’m all about the easy, healthy weeknight meals. Anything to make your life easier during the week (and keep ya healthy!) is a recipe I love.
Are zucchini boats healthy?
Zucchini boats are very healthy! The base of a stuffed zucchini boat is a veggie, so instead of using a refined carb or bread, this recipe adds extra veggies to our diet! I also used greek yogurt instead of the traditional cream cheese and a little bit of ranch (I used a paleo brand) with the hot sauce.
This stuffed zucchini boats recipe is low carb so it fits perfectly into a keto diet! It’s high in fat and low in carbs!
Can you eat zucchini skin?
Yes, you can eat zucchini skin. However, you’ll want to make sure the zucchinis isn’t waxed. If there’s a waxy layer on the outside of the skin, do your best to wash as much off as possible. Sometimes larger zucchini can be bitter so be sure to test it out.
If the skin is bitter on your zucchini just peel it off before stuffing it!
How do you make stuffed zucchini?
To make stuffed zucchini, start by washing your zucchini and cutting of the ends. Then slice them down the middle length-wise and place the middle side up.
Scoop out the seeds and the middle leaving 1 inch from the sides of the zucchini. Reserve the middles for another recipe like paleo zucchini bread.
Once you’re done, fill your hollowed out zucchini with your mixture, in this case buffalo chicken mix! Place it in a pre-heated oven and bake until warm and bubbly.
How long does it take to bake zucchini at 400 degrees?
Usually zucchini only takes about 25 minutes to bake in the oven at 400°F, but this recipe calls for the zucchini boats to be baked for 35-40 minutes.
This will make sure the zucchini is cooked through, the buffalo chicken mixture is warm and the top is melted!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! It’s so easy, healthy and tasty!
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with @What_MollyMade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see it and feature you!
Buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats
- Olive oil for greasing pan
- 4 medium zucchini sliced in half lengthwise (try to find zucchini that are similar in size)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken breast 1 pound or about ½ a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup hot sauce I used Frank’s
- ¼ cup ranch dressing I used Primally Pure Paleo Ranch
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese divided
- Green onions
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a large baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- Using a large spoon, hollow out the centers of each zucchini half, leaving about 1/2-inch rim to create boats. (Use leftover zucchini for Paleo Zucchini Bread). Place the hollowed out zucchinis on the large baking pan lined with foil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until onions become translucent. Transfer to a large bowl then stir in shredded chicken, ⅓ cup hot sauce, 1 cup greek yogurt, ¼ cup ranch dressing and ½ cup of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Spoon buffalo chicken mixture evenly into prepared zucchini boats. Top each evenly with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cover the zucchini boats with foil and bake for 35-45 minutes or until cheese has melted and zucchini is tender. Once tender, remove the foil and turn the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes until the tops of the cheese buffle and turn a little browne.
- Once baked, sprinkle with cilantro and green onion before serving.