This paleo zucchini bread recipe is made with coconut flour, almond flour and shredded zucchini, which makes it a healthy baking must for the summer! It's easy, super moist and filled with chocolate chunks. If you follow a paleo diet or are just clean eating, this recipe is for you!
I can't believe it's been three years since I launch WMM and I don't have any zucchini recipes on my site! That's three summers of fresh-from-the-garden zucchinis that I've totally let go. Today that changes!
Today we're making paleo zucchini bread! I knew I need to start my zucchini archives with a classic so this paleo chocolate chip zucchini bread was the natural choice.
It's really moist with just enough sweetness you'll think you're eating a rich dessert but it's actually filled with really good quality ingredients! For an extra treat, pop a piece in the microwave then top it with high quality grass fed butter. The chocolate will melt and the butter will drip down the sides and you will be in HEAVEN.
If you aren't as familiar with paleo baking then this paleo zucchini bread recipe is a great place to start! It's made with simple ingredients you can find in your local grocery store. The coconut flour and almond flour being two of them!
Why using almond flour and coconut flour in paleo zucchini bread?
This recipe calls for both almond flour and coconut flour to help with the consistency of the paleo zucchini bread. The almond flour gives the recipe structure and a base and because there are quite a bit of liquid ingredients, the coconut flour absorbs them and helps with the overall structure.
Coconut flour absorbs A LOT of moisture in baked goods. It's the reason why you can't evenly swap out one for the other in a recipe. If you use too much coconut flour your baked good could be too dry.
How to prep zucchini for paleo zucchini bread:
To get the zucchini ready to bake with, start by grating the zucchini. You don't need to peel the zucchini to do this. Just start grating finely with a thin cheese grater!
You'll want one cup of shredded zucchini, which comes out to be about 1 medium zucchini.
Once you've shredded it all, lay out some paper towels and place the zucchini on top of it. Pat it dry with more paper towel to get as much moisture out as you can. You don't want extra moisture in that bread!
Once you've prepped the zucchini it's really simple to make the rest of this zucchini bread.
How to make paleo zucchini bread:
Start by mixing all of the wet ingredients together including the mashed banana, eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup. Mix in your prepped and shredded zucchini then add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Fold gently to combine then fold in the chocolate chips.
Spray and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour the paleo zucchini bread batter into it, spreading evenly on top. Sprinkle with some extra chocolate chips because it makes it look pretty:)
Bake the bread at 350°F for 35-40 or until set in the middle. Allow to cool completely before cutting!
I absolutely LOVED this recipe and I can't wait for you to try it! If you make it, don't forget to tag me on instagram with @what_mollymade or #whatmollymade so I can see and feature you!
A few more paleo baked goods:
- paleo pumpkin chocolate chunk blondies
- caramel apple paleo cake
- coconut flour chocolate chip cookies
paleo zucchini bread
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 large ripe banana mashed
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup grated zucchini from about 1 medium zucchini
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks plus more for topping (I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease and line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Grate the zucchini and spread the zucchini out on a few layers of paper towels. Place more paper towels on top and press out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the eggs, mashed banana, maple syrup, and coconut oil on medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Fold the zucchini into the mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon to the wet ingredients and stir gently. Fold in the chocolate chunks.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chunks.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 30-40 minutes. Lift the the bread out with the sides of the parchment paper and place back on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- To store, place in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.