Grab your crockpot and make these healthy buffalo chicken meatballs! With only 3 net carbs, this easy recipe fits well into a low carb diet and makes a great appetizer or tailgate snack.
It's no secret I'm obsessed with buffalo chicken. It's a classic flavor combination, especially for appetizers. I recently asked everyone on Instagram what they want to see this fall and healthy appetizer was on the list!
What is buffalo sauce made of?
Buffalo sauce is made of hot sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot!) and butter or ghee. I used ghee in this recipe to make it whole30 but you could use a grass-fed butter too. That's all! Only 2 ingredients. But you could add a bit of honey if you want to sweeten it up.
Should I brown meatballs before putting in the slow cooker?
You may be wondering why these are slow cooker meatballs but they go in the oven for a bit. That's because sticking them in the oven helps brown the outside and set the meatballs before throwing them in the crock pot. It gives them additional flavor and helps them keep their shape while cooking.
How long does it take for meatballs to cook in sauce?
Buffalo chicken meatballs take 2 hours on low to cook in the slow cooker. They cook in the sauce so they absorb all that awesome buffalo chicken flavor.
How to serve buffalo chicken meatballs:
These meatballs are best served right out of the crock pot. Once they're done, leave the slow cooker on warm and set them out for people to grab with a toothpick. I highly recommend a side of whole30 ranch, scallions and celery to go with them.
How to roll the meatballs:
Use your hands or a wooden spoon to scoop out the chicken mixture and roll into a 1 1/2 inch ball. The mixture will be really sticky so I recommend putting some tapioca flour on your hands periodically to keep from sticking. Make sure you wash your hands well after handling the raw meatballs!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More buffalo chicken appetizers:
- Cauliflower buffalo wings
- Buffalo chicken stuffed zucchini boats
- Crockpot healthy buffalo chicken dip [whole30]
Slow cooker buffalo chicken meatballs [Keto | Gluten Free]
For the Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the sauce:
- 3/4 cup hot suace sauce I used Frank’s Red Hot
- ¼ cup melted ghee
- Paleo ranch for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, tapioca flour, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions, salt and pepper. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Using a spoon or your hands, roll the meatball mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 24 meatballs. Mixture will be sticky. Add a little tapioca flour to your hands to help keep from sticking.
- Place meatballs onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until all sides are browned.
- While the meatballs are browning, make the sauce. Whisk the melted ghee and hot sauce together in a small bowl.
- Place meatballs into a slow cooker. Add prepared buffalo sauce and gently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately with paleo ranch and celery.