These air fryer stuffed peppers are full of healthy ingredients and take less than half the amount of time than traditionally cooked stuffed peppers. The filling is full of protein, veggies and spices and the charred peppers add so much depth of flavor.
Stuffed peppers are a classic dinnertime staple for so many! This recipe cuts down on the time, but none of the delicious flavor or ingredients.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers:
- Bell peppers (any color!)
- Ground beef
- Italian seasoning and salt
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Worcestershire sauce (or coconut aminos for sugar free option)
- Brown or white rice
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Are stuffed peppers healthy?
Stuffed peppers are packed full of protein and veggies. This recipe is completely gluten free and can easily be made dairy free by omitting the cheese or swapping in a vegan cheese. I'm even sharing a low carb option below!
We're rounding out the end of January as I write this and I know so many now (and anytime of year) are looking for healthy meals. We love to add beef to our dinner routine because a 3-ounce serving provides half of your daily recommended value of protein!
Plus, research has shown exercise is more effective for weight management when paired with high protein foods, like beef.
Did you know? Although many believe that industrial farming has taken the place of family farms and ranches, 97 percent of beef farms are family-owned and operated.
How to make stuffed peppers in the air fryer:
- Cut and air fry the peppers: Preheat the air fryer then cut the tops off of the peppers. Air fry just the peppers at 400°F for 6 minutes.
- Make the filling: Cook the onion and diced peppers in a saute pan then add the garlic and cook another minute. Add the ground beef and brown until no pink remains and beef reaches 160°F with an meat thermometer (use this guide to learn more about determining beef doneness).
- Cook the rice: Add the seasoning, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire, rice and water. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Stuff the peppers: Evenly scoop the mixture into the halfway cooked bell peppers all the way to the top.
- Air fry: Close the basket and air fry the stuffed peppers at 400°F for 4 minutes then open the basket, add the cheddar cheese and continue cooking for 4 more minutes.
- Serve: Top with fresh parsley and eat hot!
Common Questions About Stuffed Peppers:
Should you cook meat before stuffed peppers? Yes! You want to cook the ground beef to a safe and savory 160°F with the rest of the filling before stuffing.
How to soften the peppers before stuffing them: While the filling is cooking air fry the peppers by themselves for 6 minutes to soften them.
How do you keep stuffed peppers from getting soggy? Make sure your filling doesn't include too much water. I love cooking the rice right in the pan because it saves on dishes and the uncooked rice soaks up any extra liquid.
What makes this easier than traditional stuffed peppers? LESS TIME (couldn't we all use that?!). Traditional stuffed peppers bake for about 45 minutes where these air fryer stuffed peppers only need 10 at the end. This recipe from start to finish takes 30 minutes.
What do you eat with stuffed peppers? Eat this recipe on it's own or serve it with a salad or more veggies like roasted brussels sprouts, sweet potato fries, diced potatoes or whatever you have on hand.
This recipe is sponsored by The Ohio Beef Council. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to brands like them who believe in me and my recipes so I can keep sharing free content with you!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to leave a comment and star review. You can tag me on Instagram so I can see it and feature you!
More recipes you'll love with ground beef:
Air Fryer Stuffed Peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 6 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup uncooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or vegan cheese (optional)
- Air Fryer
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F for 3-5 minutes. If your air fryer is smaller pre-heat for 3 minutes and if it’s larger pre-heat for 5 minutes.
- While it’s heating, cut the tops off the peppers and scoop out any seeds. Dice the tops of the peppers and set aside to use in the mixture. When the air fryer is preheated, place the peppers in the basket of the air fryer and cook for 6 minutes.
- While the peppers are cooking, make the filling. Heat the olive oil in a large and deep skillet over medium high heat. Once the olive oil is hot, add the onion and leftover diced peppers and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the ground beef and brown until no pink remains (it should reach an internal temperature of 160°F).
- Add the Italian seasoning, salt, diced tomatoes and coconut aminos (or worcestershire sauce) and stir to combine. Add the uncooked rice and water and stir. Turn the heat to medium low, cover the pot with the lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- When the beef and rice mixture is done scoop it evenly into each of the partially cooked peppers and place the peppers back in the air fryer. Air fry at 400°F for 4 minutes then open the drawer, top with shredded cheese and cook for another 4 minutes until melted and bubbly. If you aren’t using cheese just air fry for 8 minutes.