Roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash are coated with a sweet maple glaze and tossed with toasted pecans and sweet dried cranberries. This healthy side dish is a great gluten free and dairy free option for Thanksgiving.
When I think of the quintessential healthy Thanksgiving side, my mind always goign to brussel sprouts and squash. If you add toasted nuts and dried cranberries you have the ultimate healthy dish to pair with turkey in my opinion.
Vegetarians, healthy nuts, gluten-free friends, dairy-free family and everyone in between will LOVE this flavor-packed recipe. The best part is how simple it is to make!
Ingredients for brussel sprouts and butternut squash:
- Brussels sprouts
- Butternut squash
- Dried cranberries
- Maple syrup
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: crumbled goat cheese would be delicious!
How to make brussel sprouts and butternut squash two ways:
Prep the ingredients:
- For both cooking options, start by peeling and dicing the butternut squash into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes.
- Cut the ends off of the brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Mix together the olive oil, maple syrup, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Roasted in the oven:
- Place the brussel sprouts and butternut squash on a large sheet pan and spread evenly into one layer.
- Pour maple syrup mixture on top and gently toss to coat.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir again, add the pecans and place back in the oven and roast for 3-5 more minutes, until pecans are toasted, brussels are crispy and squash is fork-tender.
- Remove from the oven and top with cranberries before serving.
Cooked in the air fryer:
- Place the brussels sprouts and squash in a 6-8 qt air fryer. Set the temperature to 400°F and air fry for 22 minutes, stopping to shake 2-3 times throughout.
- When the squash and brussels are done, add the pecans and air fry for another 4 minutes at 400°F. Brussels sprouts should be crispy and browned and the squash should be fork tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with dried cranberries.
- Make sure you cut the brussels sprouts and squash in even sizes for even cooking. Any larger than 1 inch pieces and they will take longer to cook all the way through.
- Add crumbled goat cheese on top before serving if it sounds good!
- Check out this post for how to peel and cut a butternut squash.
To prep this recipe ahead of time, peel and cut the squash and cut the brussels sprouts then store them in an air tight container in the fridge. Follow the instructions when you're ready to make and serve!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you! Also, please leave a comment below—it would mean so much!
More healthy Thanksgiving sides:
Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- 1 (24 oz) package brussels sprouts
- 5 cups of peeled and cut into 1/2 - 1 inch cubes butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Prep ingredients: Wash and cut the ends off of the brussels sprouts then cut in half lengthwise. Peel the butternut squash, cut in half and remove the seedy insides. Dice into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces (no bigger).
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil, syrup, salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- For the oven: Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with a silpat mat or foil then spread prepped vegetables onto a large baking sheet in an even layer. Drizzle with maple syrup mixture and toss to coat.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes, tossing halfway through. Add the pecans and roast for another 3 minutes, until squash is fork-tender, brussels are crispy and pecans are toasted.
- For the air fryer: Add the prepared veggies to a 6-8 qt air fryer basket. Air fry for 22 minutes at 400°F, pausing to shake 2-3 times throughout. Add the pecans and air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Serve: For both options, transfer the veggies and pecans to a serving platter and top with dried cranberries.