This is an easy, healthy weeknight meal! One Pan Sausage, Butternut Squash and Apples is the perfect, easy fall meal. Throw everything on a pan and bake it! It's also Whole30 and Paleo approved!
Zach and I have now made this recipe every week for the last 4 weeks. It's such an easy fall meal! If you're looking for a healthy weeknight meal, this is it!
The flavors in this recipe remind me so much of fall. It's like Thanksgiving in a bowl! The rosemary and thyme add such a delicious flavor with the sweet butternut squash and apples. You're going to love it!
What you need to make this one pan recipe:
There's only a few ingredients in this recipe! And bonus, they're all really affordable! So you can feed a large family without breaking the bank. Here's what you need:
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3-4 medium or large apples
- 1 yellow onion
- 12 ounces sausage (kielbasa)
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
And then of course the usual salt and pepper:) If you have these ingredients and a sheet pan you're ready to go!
What type of sausage should you use?
I use Kielbasa in this one pan sausage, butternut squash and apples recipe, but any pre-cooked sausage will do! You can use a pork sausage, chicken sausage or turkey sausage. Try to make sure your sausage doesn't have any added sugars in it.
Take a look at the package in the grocery store prior to buying it, because a lot of them try to sneak corn syrup or added sugars in there. Aidelle is my favorite brand we've found!
What apples to use for One Pan Sausage, Butternut Squash and Apples:
For this recipe, I like to use a sweeter apple to balance out the savory flavors from the squash, onion and spices. the apple adds just a bit of sweetness that tastes so good! Because of that, I used HoneyCrisp apples! They're my favorite apple and they're in season right now. But any sweet apple variety will do!
How to Cut Butternut Squash:
The trickiest part of this recipe is cutting the butternut squash. But if you know how to peel and cut it right, you won't have any problems! Take a look at the video below to watch how I do it! Here are the steps to peel and cut butternut squash:
- Using a potato peeler, peel the outer layer of skin off the squash. Make sure you're peeling away from yourself.
- Cut the tips off each end of the squash with a sharp knife.
- Cut the butternut squash down the middle length-wise
- Scoop out the seeds with a spoon
- Cut into strips then cubes
One you have all of your ingredients chopped for this one pan sausage, butternut squash and apples, throw it all in a pan and add the olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper! Toss it then throw it in the oven for 40 minutes.
If you like this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade or #WhatMollyMade so I can see it and feature you!
If you like this recipe, you'll also like:
Watch the video below where Molly walks you through every step of this recipe. Sometimes it helps to have a visual, so I've got you covered! You can find more recipes on YouTube and Facebook, or right here on my website.
One pan sausage, butternut squash and apples
- 1 large butternut squash peeled and diced
- 2 medium apples diced
- 12 oz kielbasa all natural (no sugar added)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F and set out a large baking pan.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and add it to the baking pan. Next, chop the onions and dice the apples and add it to the pan. Slice the sausage and add it to the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper. Pour over squash, apples, onions and sausage. Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, stirring halfway through.