These turkey taco stuffed sweet potatoes are such an easy, healthy weeknight meal! They're paleo and whole 30 approved. Make them over the weekend and you also have a simple meal prep recipe!
Are you a sweet potato lover? Are you a taco lover? Then you're going to love these sweet potato tacos!
If you follow me over on Instagram, it's no secret I"m a HUGE taco lover. And that's kind of an understatement. I wish I was joking, but I eat tacos at least three times a week. Plus for lunch and as leftovers. I wish I could say it was a problem, but when they're as delicious and healthy as these taco stuffed sweet potatoes, it's not a problem at all.
After this recipe, we decided to start using a roasted sweet potato as a taco shell and even a hamburger bun for so many of our recipes like these healthy sloppy joes.
Are taco stuffed sweet potatoes healthy?
These taco stuffed sweet potatoes are really healthy. If you're following a gluten free, dairy free, paleo or whole 30 diet then this recipe is just right for you!
I love this recipe because it covers all of the macronutrients in one meal if you add some guac on top. Complex carbs are from the sweet potatoes, protein from the turkey and healthy fats from the guac. I also like to add cilantro and tomatoes as well. You can even add chopped lettuce!
Are taco stuffed sweet potatoes easy to make?
Taco stuffed sweet potatoes are so easy to make! All you do is bake the sweet potatoes, brown the ground turkey and put them together with all the toppings!
Baking the sweet potatoes takes the longest, but all you do is poke them with a fork and throw them in the oven. There is little to no thinking involved! And with so few ingredients, it's so easy to pick them up from the store. You might even have all of the ingredients right now!
How to make sweet potatoes in the oven:
To make sweet potatoes in the oven, preheat the oven to 400°F. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork a few times then bake on a sheet pan for 45 minutes.
If you make these turkey taco stuffed sweet potatoes don't forget to tag me on Instagram with @what_mollymade or #whatmollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More taco recipes:
Taco stuffed potatoes
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Sliced avocado or guacamole optional
- Diced tomatoes optional
- Chopped cilantro optional
- Salsa optiona
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line a baking sheet with foil. Set aside. Pierce 4 sweet potato a few times with a fork then place the sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, make the taco meat. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and stir with a wooden spoon until it’s transluscent, about 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey, cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and cook until the turkey is browned. Set aside.
- When sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven and make a slit in the top of each sweet potato, being careful not to burn yourself. Add about ½ cup ground turkey inside each sweet potato. Top with diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro or salsa if desired.
Leave a Reply