This shaved brussel sprout salad is topped with crisp apples, avocado, crunchy walnuts, chopped dates or cranberries and creamy goat cheese. It's finished with a tangy mustard vinaigrette and makes a great healthy side dish or lunch with chicken on top.
How to make brussel sprout salad:
Start by thoroughly washing and drying your brussel sprouts. I try to buy organic if possible! Once you remove them from the bag, give them a good rinse, remove any leaves that are dying/falling off.
Once they're clean, trim off the ends of the brussel sprouts with a sharp knife. Discard the ends and get ready to shave the remaining brussels.
Ingredients in this shaved brussel sprouts salad:
- Brussel sprouts, of course! I try to buy organic!
- An apple for crunch and sweetness. I like honeycrisp, but you could use any apple you like.
- Dates add more texture and sweetness. If you don't like dates you can swap this out for dried cranberries.
- Avocado for some healthy fat and who doesn't like avocado?!
- Walnuts for crunch but you could swap in any of your favorite nut like pecans or pine nuts.
- Goat cheese adds creaminess but if you're dairy free it's still delicious without it!
How to shred brussel sprouts:
There are three really simple ways to shred brussel sprouts. It only takes a few minutes to shred them all!
- Use a food processor. See the video below on how to do it! You simply add them to the bowl of the food processor and turn on high for 10-20 seconds. That's it!
- Use a knife. You can thinly slice them lengthwise or widthwise to get the shaved sprouts for the salad.
- Slice them on a mandoline slicer, but be very careful to keep the guard on so you don't hurt your fingers.
Can you eat raw brussel sprouts?
Although you mostly see brussel sprouts being eaten cooked, they are totally safe to eat raw! Crispy brussel sprouts are a delicious side and a great way to serve whole brussel sprouts.
If you're eating them raw I recommend shaving them or thinly slicing them like in this shaved brussel sprouts salad!
How to make homemade mustard vinaigrette: grab a jar with a lid and add all the ingredients to it. Shake well and serve with the dressing mixed in or on the side. You can also buy your own dressing for this!
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to leave a star rating and tag me on Instagram with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More fresh salads you'll love:
- Kale salad with goat cheese
- Summer corn salad
- Fall salad with chicken, apples and butternut squash
- Autumn pear salad with candied pecans
Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad
- 1 lb brussels sprouts washed and ends trimmed
- 5 chopped dates or ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 honeycrisp apple diced
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 sliced avocado optional
- 2-4 ounces crumbled goat cheese optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅔ cup light tasting olive oil
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 3 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- To shave the brussel sprouts, place them in the bowl of a food processor and blend on high for 10-20 seconds. Other ways to shred them include thinly slicing them with a knife or using a mandoline (be careful!).
- Place the shredded brussel sprouts in a large bowl and add the dates, apples, walnuts, avocado and goat cheese. Set aside.
- To make the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a small glass jar with a lid and shake well. If you don’t have a jar you can put them all in a medium bowl and whisk well. Serve dressing on top or on the side.
Leave a Reply