The best grain free granola recipe. This recipe uses the best ingredients and they are gluten-free, paleo and vegan.
I'm comin at ya with another gluten-free, dairy free and refined sugar free recipe!
Are you a granola lover!? Because I 100% am. I've always loved granola but never like all the extra ingredients and added sugar in the typical store bought kind. That's why I started making my own granola, like vanilla almond granola and chocolate peanut butter protein granola.
This recipe is for you if you're a grain free eater or just want to try a different variation on granola!
What is grain free granola made of?
- Cashews: raw, unsalted cashews are best. You can buy them in bulk from nuts.com or Thrive Market!
- Pecans: raw, unsalted are the best here too. You could swap this for almonds or walnuts if you prefer.
- Coconut flakes: make sure you get the unsweetened flakes. We really like Bob's Red Mill
- Nut Butter: any kind of nut butter like cashew butter or almond butter is good. Just note that if you use peanut butter it will still be grain free, but it won't be paleo.
- Seeds: we're using a combination of flax seeds and chia seeds. They're full of fiber and healthy fats.
- Maple syrup: there's only a little bit of maple in this recipe, but if you want a completely sugar free recipe, just omit this.
- Coconut oil: this helps the recipe get chunky and adds even more healthy fats.
- Cinnamon: the richness and warmth this adds to the grain free granola brings so much flavor.
- Vanilla and salt: these balance the flavors and add a subtle vanilla to deepen the flavor.
How to make grain free granola
- Whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup, cashew butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add the cashews, pecans, chia seeds, flax seed, and coconut flakes and mix well to completely coat.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake at 300°F for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning.
- Once the granola golden brown and done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool completely to get crisp.
Is paleo granola good for you?
Paleo granola is great for you! In moderation, of course, just like anything! It's filled with protein and healthy fats and delivers minerals like magnesium.
I love it because it doesn't include any ingredients that tend to cause inflammation in the body (gluten, dairy, sugar) so I can continue to keep that in control but also indulge in one of my favorite recipes I grew up on. With struggling with IBS and other chronic inflammation symptoms, having a recipe like this is so nice!
Prefer to watch instead of read?
How to serve and eat grain free granola
There are so many ways to eat this simple paleo granola! Here are a few things I like to eat with paleo granola
- Dairy free yogurt (i.e. coconut yogurt)
- Your favorite nut milk (I use cashew or coconut!)
- Plain in a bag as a snack on the go
- On top of a smoothie bowl
- On top of a banana with cashew butter
The best way to store paleo granola is in an air tight container. We use Weck Jars and absolutely love them. Keep it in a cool dry place for up to one month. You can also freeze it in the sam container for up to three months.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
Love granola? Try these recipes!
Grain Free Granola
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup creamy cashew butter (or other nut butter)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups cashews roughly chopped
- 1 cup pecans roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 300°F and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and cashew butter, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Add the cashews, pecans, chia seeds, flax seed, coconut flakes and dried blueberries and mix well to completely coat.
- Pour and spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to avoid burning.
- Once the granola is visibly browned and done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool completely to get crisp.