Rice crispy chicken tenders are an easy and gluten free dinner you can have on the table in under 30 minutes! The healthy honey mustard dipping sauce is sweet and tangy and this dinner recipe will change your weeknights forever.
I was first introduced to rice crispy chicken years ago when a friend of mine's mom would make if for us when we got together. It was made with butter and sugary cereal, but man was it delicious.
As I was brainstorming gluten free dinner ideas for all of you I remembered this meal and decided I needed to make a healthier version for all of you! And who doesn't love a crispy chicken tender with honey mustard? Game changer.
The chicken tenders are coated in an egg wash to help the crispy cereal stick to the outside. When they're baked in the oven the cereal gets golden brown and the juices from chicken and cereal create a caramely crispy coating that's to do for. Dip that in the honey mustard and you won't regret this 30 minute meal.
Ingredients for rice crispy chicken:
- Rice crispy cereal of course! Look for a gluten free rice cereal that doesn't have any added sugar or minimal sugar in it. I love to get mine on Thrive Market, but you can find it at your grocery store too!
- Chicken tenders are delicious in this recipe instead of chicken breasts. Feels like you're eating fried chicken fingers from childhood!
- Spices like paprika and salt and pepper are mixed in with the cereal to give the chicken extra flavor.
- The honey mustard is just as it sounds! Honey, mustard, spices and a little paleo mayo to make it creamy.
How to make rice crispy chicken:
- Start by whisking your eggs together to make a wash in a medium bowl and set it aside.
- Next, place the rice cereal in gallon plastic bag with the salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper. Dip each chicken tender into the egg mixture then add to the cereal mixture in the bag. Shake well to coat each chicken tender with the cereal and spices.
- Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between each tender. Add any leftover cereal to the top of each tender and press gently to help it stick to the chicken.
- Bake chicken in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Make the easy honey mustard while the chicken is baking!
If you love this recipe, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
What to serve with rice crispy baked chicken:
- Brown rice or cauliflower rice
- Roasted veggies
- Avocado pasta salad
- Sweet potato salad
Rice crispy chicken
For the chicken:
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free rice cereal no sugar added
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup paleo mayonnaise homemade or store bought
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar or lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat and set aside.
- Pat chicken dry and use knife or chick shears to clean off any extra fat. Set aside.
- Place the rice cereal in gallon plastic bag with the salt, garlic powder, paprika and black pepper.
- Add the eggs to a separate medium bowl and whisk gently. Dip each chicken tender into the egg mixture then add to the cereal mixture in the bag. Shake well to coat each chicken tender with the cereal and spices. Transfer the chicken to the prepared baking sheet, leaving space between each tender. Add any leftover cereal to the top of each tender and press gently to help it stick to the chicken.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
- While the chicken is baking, make the honey mustard. Add all of the honey mustard ingredients to a small dish and whisk until smooth.