Here is a list of the best PCOS supplements to heal naturally. These supplements help regulate blood sugar, heal your gut and balance out stress to reverse PCOS symptoms. These supplements have helped me with weight loss, acne, anxiety and getting my period back.
If you've been following along here and following my PCOS journey, you know I was diagnosed with PCOS in the summer of 2018. I was immediately prescribed metformin and was told to get back on hormonal birth control.
I know it's possible to reverse PCOS without the help of those two drugs so I decided to implement lifestyle changes to heal including eating an anti-inflammatory diet, getting blood work done, learning about which type of PCOS I have and more.
I'm proud to say I reversed my PCOS, got pregnant one the first try and had another functional doctor check for blood work in 2021.
After meeting with my doctor the frist time and gettting my blood work results, I started incorporating these PCOS supplements into my routine. Keep reading for a full ist!
Can you get rid of polycystic ovary syndrome?
You can't technically cure polycystic ovary system, but you can reverse your symtpoms naturally and live a virtually symptom-free life if you work hard and make changes to your lifestyle. I am living proof I'm on my way to doing that!
I can happily say that right after those meetings and adding in the pcos supplements, I've got my period back and I've had FIVE REGULAR CYCLES. This is huge! I've never had regular cycles in my life. I owe so much of it to my diet and supplements.
Update: after writing this post we conceived our daughter on the first try!
MY PCOS-FRIENDLY COOKBOOK IS AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!
This book is full of 100+ simple, gluten free, dairy free recipes for reducing inflammation and healing PCOS from the inside out. Ships to your door on July 13!
So without further ado, let's talk about the best supplements for pcos.
As always, I want to note that these are the supplements that worked for me! I always recommend seeing a doctor or working with a health coach to learn more. All of this information is from Dr. Brighten, The Period Repair Manual and Woman Code.
Watch my PCOS Supplements video here:
Natural PCOS Supplements:
Here are the pcos supplements I use for weight loss, acne, irregular cycles, anxiety, hair loss/growth and more! I've linked all of the high quality brands I buy here.
Magnesium: the miracle mineral
- Soothes and calms nervous system and
- Aids in sleep
- Regulates your HPA axis (stress) and improves function of insulin and thyroid
- Anti-inflammatory and promotes metabolism of estrogen
- Gives fast results!
- Best magnesium supplement for PCOS: Magnesium Glycinate by Pure Encapsulations
- Vitamin D is a steroid hormone that regulates more than 200 genes in our body
- Great for insulin sensitivity!
- Promotes maturation of follicles
- You’ll ideally want to get tested to see if you’re deficient in this, but me living in Ohio, not getting lots of sunlight I pretty much knew I would be!
- What I use: Thorne Vitamin D liquid drops or Vitamin D pill
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- I put this on things that make sense. I like to add it to my matcha or smoothies and sometimes sweet potatoes
- What I use: Simply Organic Cinnamon
- Inositol is an intracellular messenger for insulin
- Myo inositol improves insulin sensitivity, reduces androgens and supports regular ovulation
- I add this to my morning matcha or smoothie. It’s a white powder and tasteless so you could add it to water too!
- What I use: Jarrow Formulas Inositol Powder
- A lot of women experience gut issues, especially if you were on the pill for years, like me!
- Your gut is responsible for absorbing nutrients from food, which then helps you make the hormones your body needs and break down and get rid of the hormones you don’t, which is why there is such a connection with the two!
- Probiotics improve gut health and reduce inflammation
- What I use: Dr. Brighten's Spore Biotic
- Studies show that omega-3s can aid in reducing testosterone and regulating the menstrual cycle in women with PCOS.
- Omega-3s can help decrease inflammation in the body.
- What I use: Pure Encapsulations Omega ONE
- This also helps heal the gut. It comes in a powder and I like to add it to my morning matcha or smoothies. You could also add it to water.
- Glutamine is an amino acid found in the body. It helps gut function and the immune system, especially in times of stress.
- What I use: Naked Glutamine
- Has outperformed metformin in 2 large studies
- Great treatment if you have acne and it reduces anxiety
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- What I recommend: Thorne Berbine
- Zinc is anti inflammatory and regulates HPA axis
- Nourishes ovarian follicles to promote ovulation and progesterone
- Red meat in our diets have the most zinc
- demonstrated to play a role in irreglar periods, pms, facial hair and period pain
- What I recommend: Thorn Zinc
- This is an adaptogenic herb
- For women with PCOS maca root can be a powerful addition to help reduce estrogen, decrease the appearance of facial hair, regulate periods and increase fertility
- maca promotes optimal functioning of the hypothalamus, the pituitary and thereby the overall function of the endocrine glands
- What I recommend: Organic Maca Powder
Are supplements necessary for PCOS?
The root of PCOS is a metabolic issue, so addressing blood sugar imbalances and inflammation is critical to healing. On top of that, incorporating supplements makes a massive difference. We don't always get the nutrients we need from our food and these natural supplements made all the difference for me.
How can I treat PCOS naturally?
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet
- Balance your blood sugar by eating protein, fat, fiber and greens with every meal.
- See your doctor and get blood work done
- Reduce stress through meditation, self care and morning routines
- Reduce toxins in your home like your makeup and skin care routine
- Move your body with walks, yoga and weight training
- Get enough sleep!
What to avoid if you have PCOS:
- Refined sugars
- Gluten and dairy
- Avoid stress!
- Toxins in your home (check out my non-toxic skincare routine)
- Vegetable oils