Here is a list of the best PCOS supplements to heal naturally. These supplements help regulate blood sugar, heal your cut and balance out stress to help reverse PCOS symptoms. These supplements have helped me with weight loss, acne, anxiety and getting my period back.
If you’ve been following along here and following my PCOS journey, you know I was diagnosed with PCOS in the summer of 2018. I was immediately prescribed metforming and was told to get back on hormonal birth control. I’ve read a ton of articles from people like Dr. Brighten and Lee from America and I know it’s possible to reverse PCOS without the help of those two drugs.
I wanted to give it a try, so starting in August I implemented my anti-inflammatory diet, started working with a health coach, and saw a functional doctor to really know what was going on with my blood work.
After meeting with my doctor and gettting my blood work results, I started incorporating more supplements into my diet that align with my body and adding in natural supplements for pcos.
Can you get rid of polycystic ovary syndrome?
You can’t technically cure polycystic ovary system, but you can reverse your symtpoms naturally and live a virtually symptom-free life if you work hard and make changes to your lifestyle. I am living proof I’m on my way to doing that!
I can happily say that right after those meetings and adding in the pcos supplements, I’ve got my period back and I’ve had FIVE REGULAR CYCLES. This is huge! I’ve never had regular cycles in my life. I owe so much of it to my diet and supplements.
Update: after writing this post we conceived our daughter on the first try!
So without further ado, let’s talk about the best supplements for pcos.
As always, I want to note that these are the supplements that worked for me! I always recommend seeing a doctor or working with a health coach to learn more. All of this information is from Dr. Brighten, The Period Repair Manual and Woman Code.
What my PCOS Supplements video here:
Natural PCOS Supplements:
Here are the pcos supplements I use for weight loss, acne, irregular cycles, anxiety, hair loss/growth and more! I’ve linked all of the high quality brands I buy here.
Magnesium: the miracle mineral
- Soothes and calms nervous system and
- Aids in sleep
- Regulates your HPA axis (stress) and improves function of insulin and thyroid
- Anti-inflammatory and promotes metabolism of estrogen
- Gives fast results!
- Best magnesium supplement for PCOS: Thorne Magnesium Citrate
- Vitamin d is a steroid hormone that regulates more than 200 genes in our body
- Great for insulin sensitivity!
- Promotes maturatoin of follicles
- You’ll ideally want to get tested to see if you’re deficient in this, but me living in Ohio, not getting lots of sunlight I pretty much knew I would be!
- What I use: Thorne Vitamin D liquid drops or Vitamin D pill
- Helps regulate blood sugar
- I put this on things that make sense. I like to add it to my matcha or smoothies and sometimes sweet potatoes
- What I use: Simply Organic Cinnamon
- Inositol is an intracellular messenger for insulin
- Myo inositol improves insulin sensitivity, reduces androgens and supports regular ovulation
- I add this to my morning matcha or smoothie. It’s a white powder and tasteless so you could add it to water too!
- What I use: Jarrow Formulas Inositol Powder
- A lot of women experience gut issues, especially if you were on the pill for years, like me!
- Your gut is responsible for absorbing nutrients from food, which then helps you make the hormones your body needs and break down and get rid of the hormones you don’t, which is why there is such a connection with the two!
- Probiotics improve gut health and reduce inflammation
- What I use: Dr. Brighten’s Spore Biotic
- Studies show that omega-3s can aid in reducing testosterone and regulating the menstrual cycle in women with PCOS.
- Omega-3s can help decrease inflammation in the body.
- What I use: Thorne Omega 3
- This also helps heal the gut. It comes in a powder and I like to add it to my morning matcha or smoothies. You could also add it to water.
- Glutamine is an amino acid found in the body. It helps gut function and the immune system, especially in times of stress.
- What I use: Naked Glutamine
Other PCOS supplements I’ve read and heard great things about:
- Has outperformed metformin in 2 large studies
- Great treatment if you have acne and it reduces anxiety
- Improves insulin sensitivity
- What I recommend: Thorne Berbine
- Zinc is anti inflammatory and regulates HPA axis
- Nourishes ovarian follicles to promote ovulation and progesterone
- Red meat in our diets have the most zinc
- demonstrated to play a role in irreglar periods, pms, facial hair and period pain
- What I recommend: Thorn Zinc
- This is an adaptogenic herb
- For women with PCOS maca root can be a powerful addition to help reduce estrogen, decrease the appearance of facial hair, regulate periods and increase fertility
- maca promotes optimal functioning of the hypothalamus, the pituitary and thereby the overall function of the endocrine glands
- What I recommend: Organic Maca Powder
There you have it! All of the supplements I take for my PCOS that have helped me lose weight, reduce acne, and get my cycle back! If you’re interested in reversing your PCOS symptoms naturally, here’s a few more posts that will help you!
How can I treat PCOS naturally?
- Eat an anti-inflammatory diet
- See your doctor and get blood work done
- Reduce stress through meditation, self care and morning routines
- Reduce toxins in your home and skin care routine (post coming soon!)
- Move your body with walks, yoga and weight training
- Get enough sleep!
What to avoid if you have PCOS:
- refined sugars
- avoid stress!
- toxins in your home
- vegetable oils