Happy National Mojito Day to all of you! These Blueberry Ginger Mojitos feature a refreshing blueberry ginger simple syrup, all the mint and just a little fizz. They’re sweet and fruity and give me all the summer feels.
I’m a fan of three things:
Hence why my most favorite cocktail of all time is a Moscow Mule. And why I had to make something that involves all three for national mojito day!
I already know how this day is going to go…
Woke up dreaming of mojiots (that already happened). About to get a great workout in then spend a long day at work (I have 6 hours of meetings!!). When I get home I’ll make a nice dinner. And by make I mean pick up sushi to go (judgment free zone).
Then I’ll settle in to the couch, flip on Netflix (helloooo season 5 of Friends—I’ve only watched you 17 times). And pour myself a light, zingy and refreshing blueberry ginger mojito to cap the day. I already made the blueberry ginger simple syrup (recipe below!), so all I’ll have to do is shake it all up and pour it over ice. And repeat.
I bought this adorable mason jar shaker (World Market is my favorite) that I have set out on my counter as part of my decor, but it was the perfect vehicle to shake up these mojitos.
The blueberries are so fresh and in season and are a great complement to the fresh mint. The slight undertone of the tangy ginger adds another level of flavor that keeps you sipping (and sipping).
So here’s how to make these mojitos:
Muddle the mint with some blueberries to release the mint flavors from the leaves. Be careful not to crack those tiny veins in the mint leaf because they contain chlorophyll and will make your drink bitter. You just want to press down lightly and give it a few twists with your muddler to release the mint flavors.
Then add the simple syrup and light rum, give it a shake. Pour over ice and top with a splash of club soda and garnish with some blueberries, lime and mint!
I know what I’ll be day dreaming about in my meetings today. MOJITOS!
Blueberry Ginger MojitosPRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
- 20 mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup blueberry ginger simple syrup recipe below
- 4 ounces white rum
- juice from one lime juice
- 2 ounces club soda
- Blueberry Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- To make the blueberry simple syrup, bring the water, granulated sugar, blueberries and ginger in a medium sauce pan. Boil until all sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Strain mixture to remove pieces of blueberry and ginger. Refrigerate simple syrup until ready to make the cockatils.
- To make the mojito, place the blueberries and mint in a cocktail shaker and muddle by lightly pressing down and twisting to release mint flavors. Add the simple syrup, white rum and lime juice and shake vigorously, about 1 minutes.
- Pour mixture over ice and top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with blueberries, mint and lime.