These easy homemade twix bars are a delicious cookie! They're healthy, paleo, vegan and so easy to make.
What's inside a twix bar?
Inside these twix bars are a layer of shortbread and then a layer of caramel and chocolate on top of that. I love to add a little sea salt on top too!
The ingredients inside this recipe are all clean and healthier than traditional ones. They're paleo approved so they're gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Not to mention they're also vegan!
Do twix have eggs?
These twix do not have eggs! The shortbread is a traditional recipe with no eggs either. It makes these bars vegan!
What biscuit is in twix?
The biscuit of a twix bar is traditionally a shortbread cookie. Here are the ingredients in this homemade twix recipe:
- Coconut flour
- Almond flour
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
How to make homemade twix bars:
Start by whisking together the coconut flour and almond flour then add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup and stir with a rubber spatula until no clumps of flour remain. Bake the shortbread for 10-12 minutes then allow it to cool completely.
Next, make the caramel layer. Combine the nut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Mix with a rubber spatula or whisk until smooth. Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread and place in the freezer until completely set.
Finally, whisk together all of the chocolate ingredients and pour over the cooled caramel layer. Top with sea salt and allow to set completely.
If you love this recipe as much as me, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More healthy desserts:
- Coconut flour chocolate chip cookies
- Healthy buckeyes
- Chocolate caramel tart
- Ultimate fudgy paleo brownies
Paleo twix bars
- 1/2 cup creamy almond or cashew butter
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted use refined for no coconut flavor
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon flaky sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 350°Line an 8x8 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside. For thicker bars, use a 9x5 loaf pan instead. Set baking dish aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour and almond flour then add the melted coconut oil and maple syrup and stir with a rubber spatula until no clumps of flour remain.
- Add the shortbread mixture into the pan and pack it down tightly with a rubber spatula to all corners of the pan. Coat the spatula with a little melted coconut oil if the shortbread mixture is sticking to it too much.
- Bake shortbread for 10-12 minutes, or until it starts to turn golden brown. Allow to cool completely. Place in the fridge or freezer to speed up the cooling process.
- While the shortbread is cooling, make the caramel layer. In a medium-large bowl, combine the almond/cashew butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Mix with a rubber spatula or whisk until smooth. If needed, microwave on high for 10-15 seconds to make mixing easier. Pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread and place back in the fridge or freezer to set and harden. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or 30 minutes in the freezer.
- Once the caramel layer is almost set, start on the chocolate layer. Whisk together all of the chocolate ingredients until smooth and pour over the cooled caramel layer. Smooth evenly then top with flaky sea salt. Let cool in the fridge or freezer again until set. Slice into 1-inch slices. Keep store in the refrigerator or freezer.