These coconut flour chocolate chip cookies are made with 8 simple ingredients and turn out perfect every time. They're chewy, full of chocolate and naturally gluten free!
Today, I bring you the best coconut flour chocolate chip cookie. It's chewy, it's easy and it's filled with dark chocolate chunks. Bonus points if you add sea salt on top!
Coconut flour chocolate chip cookie ingredients
- Nut butter (swap for tahini if you're nut free)
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Baking soda
- Coconut flour
- Dark chocolate (Lily's brand is best for low carb option)
I bet you still want to eat cookies if you are nut free! I wanted to offer you a cookie that's nut free because a lot of baked goods are made with almond flour.
What nut or seed butter to use in coconut flour chocolate chip cookies
Cashew butter is an excellent nut butter because it's mild in flavor. But, almond butter and peanut butter are great options. Nut-free option: sunflower butter or tahini! Tahini (which has a stronger flavor).
Tips for baking with coconut flour
No, you can't swap coconut flour for almond flour (or all-purpose flour) in recipes. Coconut flour absorbs A LOT of moisture so if you try to swap them evenly they will likely be very dry.
Coconut flour is very healthy, especially if you follow a grain free or low carb diet. It's high in fiber, protein and healthy fats.
Coconut flour is a great flour alternative for a low carb or keto diet. If you eat low carb and want to bake nut free, coconut flour is a great option.
Make them low carb
Swap the coconut sugar for 1/4 cup Natvia or Erythritol.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. Tag me on Instagram so I can see it and say hello!
More healthy cookies
Coconut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup nut butter (i used cashew)
- ¼ cup coconut oil solid and slightly softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate (Lily's brand is best for low carb option) plus more for topping
- flaky sea salt for topping optional
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the coconut oil, nut butter and coconut sugar until smooth. Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and mix until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and coconut flour to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Stir in dark chocolate or chocolate chips.
- Use a large tablespoon or cookie scoop and place cookie dough 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Top each cookie with extra chocolate chunks then sprinkle with flaky sea salt if desired. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 5-7 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Top with more flaky sea salt if desired.