Healthy breakfast casserole is an easy, healthy breakfast idea you can make for the week! This recipe is made with kale, sweet potato hashbrowns, sausage and eggs and it's a clean eating recipe everyone will love.
Need another protein packed breakfast? Try savory quinoa breakfast bowls or cottage cheese toast.
I don't know about you, but I'm always rushing to get out the door in the mornings. When that happens, I either skip breakfast all together or end up eating something that's not quite as healthy for me.
That's why I love to have a healthy make ahead breakfast I can warm up and eat quickly or take it on the go. This healthy breakfast casserole is just that. You can make it at the beginning of the week and feed you and your family each morning.
Is breakfast casserole healthy?
This breakfast casserole is very healthy! It's got a great mixture of healthy carbs, fat and protein that will keep you full and fueled all morning.
Ingredients for healthy breakfast casserole:
The reason this is so healthy is because of the high quality ingredients in it. To make it even more clean, we like to buy organic produce, eggs and meat whenever we can. Here are the ingredients for this healthy breakfast casserole:
- Eggs: try to buy organic and free range if you can!
- Dairy free milk: I used coconut, but you could use cashew milk or almond milk
- Sausage: this may be hard to find organic and all natural, but definitely make sure there isn't any added sugars in your sausage!
- Sweet potatoes: two medium ones!
- Peppers and onions: these are easy to find organic!
- Kale: we got our organic kind already chopped in a bag
- Coconut oil, ghee or olive oil: any one will work
There you have it! Eggs and sausage for protein, sweet potatoes, peppers and onions for carbs and oil for healthy fat. This is a well-balanced breakfast!
Not only is this breakfast healthy, but it's easy to make too! There is some prep involved in cutting the veggies and shredding the sweet potatoes, but this healthy breakfast casserole is pretty much impossible to mess up!
How to make healthy breakfast casserole:
To make this healthy breakfast casserole, start by spraying a 9x13 inch pan with non stick spray and set it aside. Cook the sausage all the way through on the stove with oil and place it in the prepared pan.
Next, add the chopped onion, peppers and garlic to the pan and cook until onions are translucent and peppers begin to brown slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the kale or spinach and cook another 1-2 minutes until it's wilted. Add the cooked veggies to the pan then add the shredded sweet potatoes and mix everything to together.
In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and paprika and whisk well. Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and veggie mixture, making sure all the veggies are covered.
Bake the healthy breakfast casserole in the oven at 350°F for 40 minutes, or until the eggs are set on top. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Can you make healthy breakfast casserole ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this healthy breakfast casserole ahead of time! There are two ways to do this:
- You can prep all of the ingredients ahead of time, including the sausage, peppers, onions and sweet potatoes. When you're ready to eat it, add everything to your pan with the egg mixture and bake.
- You can also make the entire casserole from start to finish ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to eat it. This healthy breakfast casserole stores really well in the refrigerator, so just cover tightly for up to 1 week. When you're ready to serve, place a piece in the microwave until warm or place the entire casserole back in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until it's warmed all the way through.
I hope you love this recipe as much as me! It's such a great meal prep breakfast or the perfect Christmas breakfast for your family.
If you make it, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More make-ahead breakfast recipes:
- Chocolate chip banana baked oatmeal
- Blueberry overnight oats
- Apple cinnamon oatmeal breakfast cookies
Healthy breakfast casserole
- pound sausage
- 1 tablespoon grass fed butter ghee, coconut oil or olive oill
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup spinach or kale
- 4 cups shredded sweet potato about 2 medium
- 12 large eggs
- 1 cups dairy free milk
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- Avocado and scallions to top
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Next, chop all of your veggies and shred your sweet potatoes then set them aside.
- Add 2 teaspoons of oil to a medium saucepan and brown the sausage over medium-high heat. Remove from pan and place in the prepared baking dish then add the bell peppers, garlic and onion and cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers are cooked all the way through, about 5 minutes. Add the kale or spinach and cooked until wilted, 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers and onions to the pan with the sausage and add the shredded sweet potatoes and mix everything together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk salt, pepper and paprika and whisk until completely mixed. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the rest of the ingredients in the baking dish, making sure all of the vegetables and sausage are covered. Add cheese to the top if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes, or until the egg is completely set on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving. Serve with chopped scallions and sliced avocado.