This is the best healthy banana bread recipe! It's made with greek yogurt, whole wheat flour and dark chocolate chips and it's super moist and just sweet enough. You only need one bowl so it's super simple too!
If you're a banana bread lover, you're going to love this healthy banana bread recipe! It's a perfect way to start the day or eat as a afternoon or late night snack.
What makes this healthy banana bread recipe healthy?
The reason this healthy banana bread recipe is healthier is because of the ingredients I chose to use and/or swap for less good for you ingredients. Here are some of the ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour: This recipe calls for whole wheat flour rather than bleached white flour so you're getting more nutrients.
Honey: The majority of the sweetness in this recipe comes from honey and the natural sweetness of the bananas.
Greek Yogurt: This ingredient is filled with protein and gives this healthy banana bread recipe the texture you get in any other banana bread recipe.
How do you keep banana bread moist?
There are two ways to keep banana bread really moist: use very ripe bananas, and use an oil for fat instead of butter.
Make sure you buy ripe bananas and then let them get overly ripe for a few days until the outside has plenty of brown spots. This recipe is especially good if you need to use very ripe bananas before they go bad.
Next, make sure you're using a melted coconut oil in this recipe. That in combination with the greek yogurt will result in a very moist healthy banana bread.
How do you make healthy banana bread?
To make healthy banana bread you only need one bowl! It's why I love this recipe so much. You'll start by mashing the bananas and whisking together all of the wet ingredients.
Then add the leveners (i.e. baking soda) and salt then add the flour. Next, fold it all together in the same bowl, being careful not to overmix. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips, pour in a greased loaf pan then bake at 350°F for about an hour! That's it!
How to make this recipe into healthy banana bread muffins:
To make healthy banana bread muffins, follow the directions for the bread, but instead of a bread pan, fill lined and sprayed muffin tins all the way full with batter. Next, bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
My favorite part about it is this is a simple healthy banana bread! You only need one bowl to mix it up. That means cleaning less dishes! You can also mix this with a whisk so no electric mixer either.
I also love this recipe because you can freeze it and save it for later!
How to Freeze this Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
To freeze this easy healthy banana bread recipe allow it to cool completely when it comes out of the oven. Once it's cooled, slice it evenly then wrap each piece individually in plastic wrap for individual servings.
If you're saving the entire loaf for another time, allow to cool completely and wrap the entire loaf in foil or plastic wrap. The bread will stay fresh for up to 3 months!
Other banana bread recipes:
- Healthy Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- The best paleo banana bread [VIDEO]
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 bananas very ripe
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 egg yolk room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled to room temperature
- ⅓ cup plain or vanilla greek yogurt
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup pure honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour spooned and leveled
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips optional
- Position the oven rack in the center and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard 8x4 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until almost smooth, but a few lumps are okay. Add the egg and egg yolk and whisk until combined then whisk in the coconut oil and greek yogurt.
- Once combined, whisk in the brown sugar, honey and vanilla. Add the baking soda, baking powder, and salt and using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir until combined. Slowly stir in the flour, stirring gently between each addition, being careful not to over mix. Add the dark chocolate chips if using them and fold until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan and bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Check the bread at around the 40 minute bark for browning. The the bread is browning too much around the edged cover with foil and place back in the oven to finish baking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes then remove from pan and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Bread is stored well in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.