This breakfast quesadilla is the easiest one pan meal! Learn a fun hack to fold them plus tips to freeze them for weekdays!
You know it's going to be a good day when you start it with a crispy, cheesy breakfast quesadilla recipe. This simple recipe is easy to make ahead for weekdays but also makes a really impressive dish for entertaining.
The simple ingredients
- Tortillas: you can get a simple flour tortilla or you can opt for a gluten free or even grain free tortilla (like Siete).
- Scrambled eggs: quickly scramble them in advance or this would make a great recipe for leftover scrambled eggs.
- Bacon: we love to throw ours in the air fryer for 13-15 minutes to get extra crispy!
- Caramelized onion: this was my secret ingredient for this recipe and it added so much sweet flavor. Highly recommend! Just cook your onions on low for about 20 minutes.
- Shredded cheese: any cheese will do but we used a mix of Monterey and mild cheddar.
More topping ideas
Although these are the toppings we used and loved, you can get creative with whatever sounds good to you!
- Fresh herbs (like chives!)
- Sautéed peppers
- Sautéed mushroom
How to make a breakfast quesadilla
- Prep the ingredients: if you haven't already, make the scrambled eggs, bacon and caramelized onion (or whichever toppings you prefer).
- Cut the tortilla: slice up the middle to the half way point (see image below).
- Add each ingredient: place each individual ingredient in one quadrant of the tortilla.
- Fold the quesadilla: start at the bottom right and fold it up and over the onion then fold it to the left over the avocado and down over the cheese to make a triangle (see image below).
- Cook: warm them over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side and the cheese is melted through. We used the griddle pan on our new matte white cafe appliances to get those gorgeous grill marks!
Related: check out our appliances over on youtube! You can also see the griddle I'm talking about in the video tutorial below.
Watch the video tutorial
[adthrive-in-post-video-player video-id="wghRvxi9" upload-date="2021-07-13T19:55:04.000Z" name="Breakfast Quesadilla" description="This breakfast quesadilla is the easiest one pan meal! Learn a fun hack to fold them plus tips to freeze them for weekdays!" player-type="collapse" override-embed="false"]
Freeze before cooking: this is my preferred method and it's super simple! Assemble the quesadillas like above, but instead of cooking them, freeze them for a few hours on a baking sheet then transfer them to a container or bag for up to 3 months.
Freeze after cooking: allow them to cool completely and freeze solid on a baking sheet then transfer to a container or bag for up to 3 months.
To reheat: heat them both on the griddle or grill pan until warmed all the way through and the cheese is melted.
Note: I probably wouldn't put the avocado in the freezer, so opt for another topping and save the avocado to put on top after they're cooked!
This post is sponsored by Cafe Appliances. We used our grill/griddle to get the amazing grill marks on our quesadillas! Thank you to brands like them who believe in me and my recipes!
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More easy breakfast recipes
- 1 medium - large tortilla shell (we used gluten free)
- 1 scrambled egg
- 1 piece of crispy bacon
- Caramelized onion to taste see notoes
- 1/4 avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- Other toppings: spinach breakfast sausage, cooked peppers, guacamole, salsa
- Cook all of your toppings as needed. Make the scrambled eggs, bacon and caramelized onion if using them. You can customize these quesdaillas to your favorite breakfast toppings.
- Assemble: start in the bottom middle of the tortilla and cut straight up until your knife reaches the center. Add the eggs and bacon to the bottom right quadrant of the tortilla. Add the onion to the top right, the avocado to the top and the cheese in the bottom left.
- Fold: take the bottom right corner with the egg and cheese and carefully fold it up and on top of the onion. Fold both of those to the left over the avocado then down on top of the cheese to create a triangle.
- Cook: Heat your griddle over medium-high heat and cook the quesadillas on both sides for 2-3 minutes or until there's griddle marks and the cheese is melted.