Here are 4 different ways to make sweet potato toast! This easy, healthy and gluten free alternative to regular toast will satisfy any carb craving. I'm sharing how to make sweet potato toast in the oven and in the toaster with a ton of different toppings like avocado, eggs, nut butters, seeds and fruit.
I discovered sweet potato toast via Instagram and immediately jumped on board. I'm a sucker for all things sweet potato if you couldn't tell by my sweet potato gnocchi or sweet potato tacos. I'll put almost anything on a sweet potato!
I've been trying out new and random ingredients to go on top of my toasts and finally landed on 4 that I could eat over and over. They're a mix between sweet and savory so you can decide based on whatever mood you're in! Or you can make all four like me:)
Is sweet potato toast better than bread?
Sweet potato toast is a great alternative to bread, especially if you're craving toast! By comparison, sweet potatoes are a better option than a bread that's high in refined carbs but if you've got a good quality bread like sourdough or wholegrain then they're pretty equal. Unless you're avoiding gluten! If you're eating an anti-inflammatory diet then these recipes are better for you!
Is sweet potato toast good?
Sweet potato toast is one of my favorite breakfast recipes I've made in a while! The sweet potatoes are just a bit sweet so they go really well with both sweet and savory toppings. When they're toasted they become fork tender and hold any topping really well.
Is sweet potato toast healthy?
Sweet potato toast is really healthy! Sweet potatoes are a great source of fiber and they contain a lot of vitamins/minerals like calcium, selenium, B vitamins and vitamin C. It's also full of the antioxidant beta-carotene!
All 4 versions of sweet potato toast here are dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free and full of healthy fats. Not only will you be fueling your body with really healthy food but you'll stay full longer with all that good fat!
How do you easily cut up sweet potatoes?
To make this sweet potato toast you have to start with slices of sweet potato. Buy a sweet potato that's wider so you don't end up with really narrow pieces of toast. Next, using a large, sharp knife cut the ends of the sweet potato off then cut it length-wise about ⅓ inch thick. Be very careful! If you cut it wrong you can save the messed up pieces for a breakfast hash or sweet potato stew.
Can you make sweet potato toast in the toaster?
Yes you can make sweet potato toast in the toaster! Place your slices in the toaster and set it to high. When it pops up check to see if it's tender. If it's not keep pushing it back down until it's fork tender. Be careful not to burn it.
Can you make sweet potato toast in the oven?
You can also make sweet potato toast in the oven. Take the slices you made and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Then bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
I prefer the toaster version because I think it's faster and there's one less pan you have to clean but they both result in the same outcome! A delicious piece of toast ready to be topped with things like avocado, egg, seeds, almond butter and fruit.
If you love these recipes as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you!
More sweet potato recipes:
- Tacos stuffed sweet potatoes
- How to make 2 Ingredient sweet potato gnocchi
- Sweet potato bites with honey, goat cheese and Pecans
Sweet Potato Toast 4 Ways
Sweet potato toast:
- 1-2 large sweet potatoes
- ½ avocado
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Parsley to garnish
- Red pepper flakes to garnish
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon Cashew butter
- 1 small-medium apple could also use a banana
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or coconut sugar
- ½ avocado
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- Drizzle of olive oil to top
- Salt and pepper to top
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon chia seeds
- To make the toast, cut sweet potato into ⅓ inch slices. Put in toaster on high for 5 minutes. Check to see if its fork tender and toast longer if needed, being careful not to burn. To make them in the oven, preheat oven to 400° and bake on a medium baking sheet with parchment paper for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender.
- heat a small skillet over medium-low heat with coconut oil. Once hot, add the egg and cook for 3-5 minutes until all egg whites are set. Top toasted sweet potato with avocado, fried egg, salt and pepper. Top with red pepper flakes and parsley to garnish.
- Heat coconut oil in a small pan over medium heat. Dice the apple with skin and add to the skillet. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and stir until softened, 5-7 minutes. Top toast with cashew butter and caramelized apples. You could also do the same thing with bananas if you prefer.
- Top the toast with sliced or mashed avocado and sprinkle with seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and top with salt and pepper.
- Spread almond butter on top and add blueberries. Top with chia seeds and drizzle with honey.
Leave a Reply