Twisted bacon has taken over TikTok, and for good reason. This sweet and spicy version is great for appetizers, a snack, holidays or a special morning breakfast.
I jumped on this TikTok trend right away because I knew it was going to be one we loved! Who doesn't love bacon?! This is a simple recipe that makes a great appetizer for the holidays. The sweet and spicy flavors are the perfect combination.
- Thick cut bacon: I like to get nitrate and sugar free if possible. I know we're adding some sweetness, but I like the unrefined sugar better than the refined sugar or corn syrup in bacon sometimes.
- Coconut sugar: you could also use brown sugar!
- Fresh cracked black pepper: do your best to use freshly cracked pepper, it really does make a difference!
- Cayenne pepper: this adds a spice element, but you can add more or less to adjust your spice level.
- Maple syrup: an even more sweet flavor, but for Thanksgiving!
What kind of bacon should I use?
A quality, thick-cut bacon is best for this recipe. I prefer a bacon that is higher quality without any nitrates or added sugar.
How To Make Twisted Bacon
- Prep: Cover a pan with foil or parchment paper or aluminum foil and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay each slice of bacon out in an even layer and set aside.
- Mix: combine the coconut sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper and maple syrup together in a wide, shallow bowl. Sprinkle both sides of each piece of bacon with the mixture
- Twist: twist each strip as tight as you can up from the top to create a spiral rod and a lay in an even layer.
- Bake: Cook in the preheated oven for 34-38 minutes, flipping halfway through. This seems like a lot, but you want the cooked bacon to be crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate or cooling rack to absorb the bacon grease.
Twisted Bacon In The Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 5 minutes. Add the bacon in an even layer in the air fryer basket and cook for 8-15 minutes. The cook time will vary based on how thick your bacon is. Make sure the bacon strips aren't overlapping so the air can circulate evenly.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More bacon recipes
Sweet and Spicy Twisted Bacon
- 1 lb thick cut bacon nitrate and sugar free if possible
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the coconut sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper and maple syrup together in a small bowl.
- Lay the bacon out in an even layer on the prepared backing sheet. Cover one side of the bacon with the mixture using the back of a spoon.
- Twist each piece of bacon as tight as you can up from the top to create a spiral rod. Bake in the preheated oven for 36-38 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook times may vary depending on how thick the bacon is. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain the fat. Serve hot or room temp.