Twisted bacon has taken over TikTok, and for good reason. This sweet and spicy version of the viral bacon sensation is great for appetizers, a snack, holidays, or a special morning breakfast.
I jumped on this TikTok trend right away because I knew it was going to be one we loved! Who doesn't love bacon?! This is a simple recipe that makes a great appetizer for the holidays. The sweet and spicy flavors are the perfect combination.
If you need ideas for other Thanksgiving appetizers, we have you covered. One of our most popular holiday apps is another delicious bacon recipe: bacon wrapped dates with a honey herb glaze. Rosemary spiced nuts are another quick and easy (and paleo) recipe that make the perfect addition to your holiday appetizer spread.
Here are the simple ingredients for this twisted bacon recipe that has become a viral TikTok trend. Most are pantry staples and easy to find in the grocery store. Jump down to the recipe card for exact measurements.
- Thick cut bacon: I like to get nitrate and sugar-free if possible. I know we're adding some sweetness, but I like the unrefined sugar better than the refined sugar or corn syrup in bacon sometimes.
- Coconut sugar: You could also use brown sugar!
- Fresh cracked black pepper: Do your best to use freshly cracked pepper, it really does make a difference!
- Cayenne pepper: This adds a spice element, but you can add more or less to adjust your spice level.
- Maple syrup: An even more sweet flavor than regular bacon, but for Thanksgiving!
How To Make Twisted Bacon
Prep: Cover a pan with foil or parchment paper or aluminum foil and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lay each slice of bacon out in an even layer and set aside.
Mix: combine the coconut sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper and maple syrup together in a wide, shallow bowl. Sprinkle both sides of each piece of bacon with the mixture
Twist: twist each strip as tight as you can up from the top to create a spiral rod and a lay in an even layer on the sheet pan.
Bake: Cook in the preheated oven for 34-38 minutes, flipping halfway through. This seems like a lot, but you want the cooked bacon to be crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate or cooling rack to absorb the bacon
What kind of bacon should I use?
It's not as much about the type of bacon, as it is about the quality. A quality, thick-cut bacon is the best bacon for this easy recipe. I prefer bacon that is higher quality without any nitrates or added sugar.
If you don't love the taste of regular bacon or want to avoid the excess grease, give turkey bacon a try next time.Twist bacon the same the same as you would regular bacon, and follow the same cooking time and instructions.
Twisted Bacon In The Air Fryer
If you have an air fryer at home, try this twisted bacon hack with it. Cooking bacon in it will take less time and still taste delicious. For crispy air fryer bacon, preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 5 minutes.
Give the bacon that twisted shape, add the bacon in an even layer in the air fryer basket, and cook for 8-15 minutes. The cook time will vary based on how thick your bacon is. Make sure the bacon strips aren't overlapping so the air can circulate evenly.
Why do people twist their bacon?
Besides making it look fancy for a holiday appetizer display, twisting bacon can give it a crisper and crunchier texture compared to flat bacon strips. Twisting bacon can also help drain excess fat from the bacon as it cooks. The twists can act like channels for the fat to run down, reducing the overall fat content in the finished bacon.
How do I reheat bacon in the oven?
Reheat in the oven or toaster oven on a lined baking sheet at 350 for 5-10 minutes or until your desired level of crispiness.
Store leftover bacon in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven on a lined baking sheet at 350 for 5-10 minutes or until your desired level of crispiness.
If you're looking for the best way to use the leftover bacon, we suggest having it as an easy snack or adding it to a BLT. Better yet, have a few bacon slices the next morning with a side of eggs or drop the crispy bacon twists into a bloody mary.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More bacon recipes
There's no perfect way to enjoy your favorite breakfast food, but we have some other delicious bacon recipes to try next time:
Sweet and Spicy Twisted Bacon
- 1 lb thick cut bacon nitrate and sugar free if possible
- ¼ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix the coconut sugar, black pepper, cayenne pepper and maple syrup together in a small bowl.
- Lay the bacon out in an even layer on the prepared backing sheet. Cover one side of the bacon with the mixture using the back of a spoon.
- Twist each piece of bacon as tight as you can up from the top to create a spiral rod. Bake in the preheated oven for 36-38 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook times may vary depending on how thick the bacon is. Transfer the cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate to drain the fat. Serve hot or room temp.