This flavorful sweet potato salad is made with fork-tender sweet potatoes, fresh chopped green onion and a mix of bold spices. It stands out from the crowd of side dishes and it's even paleo and vegan.
Are you as much of a sweet potato lover as I am? I just love the hint of natural sweetness it has that differs from traditional potatoes. Not to mention that gorgeous orange color stands out at any spread.
Instead of traditional mayo-heavy dressings to cover potato salad, this sweet potato salad has no mayo so it's vegan. You won't miss the cream at all because the sweet and tangy sauce covering the sweet potatoes will make your tastebuds sing. I promise, this easy sweet potato salad will not let you or your friends down.
- Sweet potatoes: these are the main ingredients (of course!) and I try to buy organic when I can.
- Shallots: these are similar to an onion but are smaller, sweeter and more mild so they make a great addition to use raw in the sauce.
- Maple syrup: adds sweetness to the sauce, but not in an overwhelming way! Try to but the 100% pure maple syrup!
- Herbs including green onion, chives and oregano add SO much flavor.
- Spices including paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper give the flavor of this sweet potato salad so much more depth and heat.
How to cook sweet potatoes for salad
Roasting the sweet potatoes gives them so much flavor. Make sure to peel them to remove the tough skin then toss them with olive oil and spices and bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until their fork-tender.
How to make sweet potato salad
Once the sweet potatoes are done and cooling, make the dressing. Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a medium bowl. Once the sweet potatoes are cool, toss them with the prepared dressing and place in the fridge for an hour or so in order to cool.
That's it! Two steps and you're done. You can even roast the sweet potatoes in advance to make it even easier to whip up on a day you're taking it to a party or cookout.
If you make this recipe, I’d love for you to give it a star rating ★ below. You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More healthy cookout side dishes:
- Avocado pasta salad
- Cucumber tomato avocado salad
- Vegan caesar pasta salad
- The best shaved brussel sprout salad
- Crispy balsamic brussel sprouts
Sweet Potato Salad
- 4 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 6 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 shallotS diced
- 8 green onions diced
- 4 tablespoons chives diced
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Toss the sweet potato chunks with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, paprika, chili powder and oregano. Spread on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing the shallots, scallions, chives, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
- Toss the dressing with the cooled sweet potatoes. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve and refrigerate leftovers.