One pot Mexican beef and rice is a simple dinner with pantry staples done it less than 30 minutes! It's gluten free, dairy free and full of protein.
It's no secret I love one pot meals. They check all the boxes: easy to make, easy clean up, healthy, filling and DELICIOUS. This one is no different.
Is Mexican beef and rice healthy?
As always, everyone's defintion of healthy can vary, but I would definitely consider this healthy. It's gluten free, dairy free and full of fiber and protein.
A 3oz. serving of beef provides 25 grams of protein and 10 essential nutrients, like B vitamins. Plus the rice and beans provider fiber. Top this recipe with avocado and you're set!
Ingredients for Mexican Beef and Rice:
- Bell pepper (any color)
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Black beans
- Beef broth
- Toppings: sliced avocado, chopped cilantro, lime juice, cherry tomatoes, cilantro lime ranch
You probably have all of the ingredients for this recipe in your pantry and fridge right now!
- Use a clean brand of taco seasoning like Siete or make your own.
- Use a local beef farmer or deliver service like Butcher Box to get your beef!
- Don't skip on fresh herbs. The cilantro makes such a great topping!
- Highly recommend a drizzle of this creamy cilantro lime jalapeno dressing on top.
- If you don't have a bell pepper you can use diced green chilis instead.
- Make sure to lift the lid and stir the rice a few times while cooking so it doesn't burn on the bottom.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
This post is sponsored by The Ohio Beef Council. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to brands like them that allow me to keep sharing free recipes with you!
More easy Mexican meals:
- One pot taco pasta
- Sheet pan chicken fajitas
- Sheet pan steak fajitas
- Instant pot salsa chicken
- Slow cooker Mexican chicken casserole
- Sheet pan burrito bowl
One Pot Mexican Beef and Rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color) diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning I like Siete brand (see notes for homemade taco seasoning)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn drained
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked long grain rice (I used white rice)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth/stock
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese optional
- Toppings: sliced avocado chopped cilantro, lime juice, cilantro lime ranch, cherry tomatoes
- Add coconut oil to a medium skillet and cook over medium heat. Once hot, add the diced onion and pepper and stir until soft and onions are translucent, 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and no pink remains. Next add the taco seasoning and water and cook until thickened.
- Add the salsa, black beans, corn, uncooked rice and beef broth. Stir to combine. Close the lid of the pot and turn the heat up to high. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Open the lid to stir a few times so the bottom doesn’t burn.
- If using the cheese, open the lid and sprinkle the top with cheese then close the lid and remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Top with avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, lime juice or cilantro lime ranch if desired.