This gluten free berry crisp will be your new summer dessert. With healthy ingredients like almond flour, maple syrup, coconut oil and coconut sugar, you won't regret eating every bite of this healthy recipe.
I just can't get enough of berry season. When the spring rolls around I count down the months until berries are in season.
This gluten free berry crisp recipe was made for berry season because it features any berry you have on hand. You can use blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or raspberries. I've also got this berry trifle on my list of things to make, because the rich pound cake and fresh cream look like heaven.
Ingredients for gluten free berry crisp:
- You've got to have gluten free oats for this berry crisp recipe with oatmeal! I like Bob's Red Mill gluten free rolled oats, but you can use any kind! Thrive Market has a great one too.
- Sweeteners like maple syrup and coconut sugar help add some sweetness along with the natural sugars in the berries.
- The berries are the star of the show. Grab whatever is in season or on hand!
- Spices like cinnamon, salt and flavors like vanilla add more depth to the recipe.
- Don't forget the nuts in the topping! They add a great crunch and nutty flavor.
- Last but not least we have to use coconut oil as the fat. It's cut into the topping to create the crumble that crisps are known for.
How to make this gluten free berry dessert:
- Mix the berries, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt lemon juice and tapioca flour in a large bowl then pour it into a greased baking dish.
- Next, in a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, old fashioned gluten free oats, coconut sugar, nuts, cinnamon and salt. Add the coconut oil and cut it into the dry ingredients with the back of a knife or a pastry blender.
- Finally, spoon the crisp topping evenly over the berry mixture and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with @what_mollymade so I can see it and feature you.
More berry desserts:
- Blackberry and blueberry cobbler [paleo]
- Naturally sweet blueberry popsicles
- Skinny strawberry shortcake
- Strawberry rhubarb crisp [gluten free, vegan]
- Strawberry basil popsicles
Gluten free berry crisp
For the berry filling:
- 7 cups berries I used strawberries, raspberries blackberries and blueberries, halve the strawberries if you use them
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
For the crisp:
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned gluten free rolled oats
- ⅓ coconut sugar
- ½ chopped nuts pecans, walnuts, almonds etc
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil room temperature
- Preheat oven to 400°F and spray a 2 quart baking dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the berries, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt lemon juice and tapioca flour with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Add mixture to the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, old fashioned gluten free oats, coconut sugar, nuts, cinnamon and salt. Add the room temperature coconut oil and cut it into the dry ingredients with the back of a knife or a pastry blender. Spoon the crisp topping evenly over the berry mixture, there will be a lot. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Begin checking the crisp at 35 minutes to avoid over-browning. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm.
Leave a Reply