Raise your hand if you’re in love with everything fall?? It’s the time of year where you can wear flannels, comfy boots, a snuggle scarf and start eating lots of comfort food! Including everything pumpkin and apple. We love apples and get so excited for the beginning of fall when the honey crisp apples start to be in season (and cheap!).
Every year we go together to an apple picking farm and walk through the apple orchards choosing the best apples. A lot of time we’ll eat them with peanut butter, alongside our lunch, with some caramel on top, or in our favorite desserts—like this peach apple crisp!
The trick to making this so delicious is thinly slicing the fruit. It doesn’t take long, but it’s so important to getting the melty, gooey and delicious filling. Stir the fruit with some sugar and flour to make them even sweeter. When the juice from the fruit release and combine with the flour it makes a perfectly gooey texture that’s perfect for a crumbly topping.
In our opinion, the more crumble topping the better! The cinnamon in the crumble topping is just the right touch to make this recipe even better for fall. It pairs so well with the peaches and the apples and the texture from the topping is a great complement to the gooey filling.
AND there’s a secret ingredient in this recipe! If you’re a vegetarian or this doesn’t suit your taste please feel free to omit, but we think it adds another layer of flavor to this dessert! Ready for it? CANDIED BACON. It’s flavorful, and salty and sweet all at the same time. We chopped it into tiny bits and mixed it throughout the filling and it adds a depth of flavor that really takes this recipe to another level.
Be prepared to impress all your friends. It’s SO good.
Once you mix everything together and top it with the crumble, bake it and pull it out of the oven and it’s ready to serve! Our favorite desserts involve warm delicious treats topped with a big scoop of melty ice cream.
Serve this immediately in a giant bowl with ice cream and get ready for the compliments to roll in!
Peach Apple CrispPRINT RECIPE PIN RECIPE
- Candied Bacon optional, but not really
- 12 strips thick cut bacon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Peach Apple filling:
- 3 cups thinly sliced peaches about 3-4 medium peaches
- 2 cups thinly sliced apples 2-3 apples
- candied bacon recipe below
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup 65g old-fashioned rolled oats (or quick oats)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup 115g unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Make the bacon: Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F) and line a baking sheet with foil. Lay bacon down flat and coat with half of the brown sugar. Flip bacon and coat the other side with the other half of brown sugar. Bake for 14-16 minutes, until it's starts to get crispy. Let cool on paper towel and chop into bite size pieces. When bacon is done, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees (F) to bake the crisp.
- Make the filling: In a large mixing bowl, combine the peaches, apples and bacon and stir to combine. Add the flour, sugar, salt and vanilla and mix gently with a rubber spatula to completely coat the fruit. Dump in an 8x8 inch glass or ceramic baking dish and set aside.
- Make the topping: in a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, cinnamon and salt together, making sure to get all the brown sugar lumps out. Add the butter to the mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until the mixture is crumbly. Evenly sprinkle the topping over the filling.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling on the sides of the pan. Remove crisp from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool slightly, about 10-15 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream.
- Tip: finished baked crisp freezes well for up to 2 months. Just thaw overnight and bake on 350 for about 20-25 minutes to warm.