Get ready for a bold, creamy, saucy dinner with this one pot cajun shrimp pasta. It takes 30 minutes to make and it's lightened up with gluten free noodles and a dairy free swap for cream. Dinner done in one pan is the best kind of meal!
One pot meals are staples in our house. Usually done in 30 minutes and one pan to clean. What's not to love?! We decided to make a shrimp version because our One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta is one of our most popular recipes!
What does cajun sauce taste like?
Cajun seasoning is a bold, spicy mix of herbs and spices. The heat comes from the cayenne pepper and paprika and the deep, earthy notes come from herbs like oregano and thyme. This spice blend goes on everything! And is especially good with shrimp.
What's in cajun seasoning?
- Smoked paprika
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
Can you make it less spicy? If you want a less spicy blend of cajun seasoning, reduce the amount of cayenne in this recipe. That's where the majority of the heat comes from, so you if you don't like heat at all you can omit it or just add a pinch.
How to make cajun shrimp pasta from scratch:
- Make the seasoning in a small bowl and set aside.
- Saute the onion, sausage and garlic with half of the cajun seasoning.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes, broth and uncooked pasta to the pan and simmer for 11-12 minutes (stirring every few minutes so the pasta doesn't stick).
- Coat the shrimp in the rest of the cajun seasoning.
- When the pasta is almost done, add the cream and shrimp and stir then cook for 3-5 minutes until the shrimp is opaque.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!
Healthy cajun shrimp pasta variations:
- If you aren't dairy free: you can use heavy cream or cream cheese instead of coconut cream.
- Instead of homemade cajun seasoning: You can use pre-made cajun seasoning or creole seasoning.
- Non gluten free option: you can use a white or whole wheat fettuccine.
- To make this pescatarian: omit the sausage and use vegetable broth.
- If you don't have fettuccine noodles: you can use penne instead (cook time will be different).
- For some extra greens: add fresh spinach at the end (after the shrimp).
What type of shrimp to buy:
- Opt for wild caught, large shrimp if possible (instead of farm raised).
- Buy frozen because the shrimp behind the counter is typically frozen and thawed anyway.
- Peeled and and deveined shrimp to save you prep time. I prefer the tails off for this recipe. Although the tails add flavor to a lot of recipes, I find it annoying to search through the pasta to peel off the tails.
- If your shrimp is still frozen, place the bag in a bowl with lukewarm water to thaw.
If you love this recipe as much as I do, don't forget to leave a star rating and review! You can also tag me on Instagram so I can see it!
More healthy pasta recipes:
Thousand of people have made these top rated, well-loved recipes! You can't go wrong with a healthy pasta dish.
- One Pot Buffalo Chicken Pasta [Dairy Free]
- Lemon Garlic and Chicken Asparagus Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- One Pot Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Penne Arrabbiata
One Pot Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
For the cajun seasoning:
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- OR 1 ½ tablespoons cajun seasoning
For the pasta:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces pre-cooked smoked sausage cut into slices (look for no sugar added)
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces gluten free (or regular) fettuccine *double check your pasta’s cook time (see notes)
- 1 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 ¼ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 lb peeled and deveined uncooked shrimp
- ½ cup coconut cream (sub heavy cream or cream cheese if not gluten free)
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Make the cajun seasoning by adding all of the ingredients (or just the cajun seasoning if using pre-made) to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of a deep skillet (or dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot and rippling, add the diced yellow onion and smoked sausage to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and half of the cajun seasoning and cook for another minute.
- Add the fire roasted tomatoes (with the juice), broth and uncooked pasta to the pan. Stir until everything is combined and the liquid is mostly covering the past. Close the lid of the pan and allow it to come to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 11-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes so the pasta doesn’t get stuck together or to the bottom of the pan.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the shrimp to the remaining cajun seasoning and toss to coat.
- After 12 minutes, when the pasta is almost done cooking, add the coconut cream and shrimp and stir to combine. Allow the shrimp to cook until opaque, 3-5 minutes. Garnish and serve right away.
Do you use coconut cream or coconut milk?
I used canned coconut cream. You can’t even taste the coconut and it’s so creamy!
This recipe is AMAZING. I have been having such a hard time finding creamy, dairy free recipes that don’t taste artificial, and this is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I’ll definitely be trying more of your recipes ☺️
Molly Thompson says
Love to hear that Lauren!!! We have tons of creamy dairy free recipes on the site! Lots of one pot pastas and creamy soups:)
This was excellent! I used Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning.
Loved that you can’t even taste the coconut!
Molly Thompson says
I know we love that too!
Really yummy! I opted to use 8oz cream cheese added some extra water to thin it out and broccoli florets. It was delicious thanks for the great recipe!
I found shrimp and sausage in the freezer so I was looking for a recipe that didn’t include heavy cream and Parmesan (items I didn’t have).
This recipe was a big hit with my family so I’ll be adding it to my rotation!!
Made this tonight and it turned out AMAZING. I ended up having to peel my own shrimp because I got the wrong kind but didn’t take too long ! Definitely having this again!!
Tammy Henson says
I made this tonight and used the cream cheese option because that was all I had and it turned out amazing! We loved it! I will definetly be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.
Really easy. And the fam loved it!
Michele R says
This recipe is AMAZING! I was as trying to find a different recipe for shrimp and came across this one and remembered we had some Sausage in the freezer. This whipped up super easy and was DELICIOUS! I also steamed some broccoli and added it to each serving and used brown rice pasta to keep it gluten free. This will definitely be a go to recipe in our rotation!
Amazing amazing recipe!! Easy to cook and really yummy result! My partner loved it a lot! Will definitely try out your other recipes 🙂
Molly Thompson says
Thanks, Mae! So happy to hear that! We have lots of yummy dairy-free recipes.