Caramel Crispix is so addicting! You won’t be able to take just one handful of this snack mix recipe. This makes a big batch to share with friends and family, especially during the holidays.
I first had this recipe about 3 years ago. We were visiting Zach (my fiance’s) family in Iowa for the first time. We drove the 10 ish hours to spend the week with his family during the summer and it wouldn’t be a road trip without road trip snacks.
His mom sent us home with bags of nuts, popcorn and this caramel crispix party mix. We packed up the car and instantly opened the extra large freezer bags filled with the caramel crispix party mix.
We finished the entire bag before we even hit the Indiana border.
Though not totally recommended to eat the entire batch in a couple hours with one other person, I am living proof it’s that addicting and it can be done.
That was the moment I knew I needed to get the recipe from my future mother in law. This was before I even started WMM but I needed this recipe in my life to eat and share (and eat).
Somehow, even though I don’t know how it’s possible, this caramel crispix party mix is crunchy and chewy at the same time. It’s crunchy from the crispix and chewy from the salted caramel coating.
The texture is AMAZING, but the taste might be even better. The caramel has this rich and nutty flavor and when you top it with sea salt it’s the perfect combo
The best part is it’s so simple to make.
How to Make Caramel Crispix Party Mix
To make caramel crispix party mix, start by getting all of your ingredients together. Put your crispix in a large bowl and melt all your caramel ingredients together over the stove until it starts to boil. Let it boil for about 2 minutes then pour it over the Crispix. You don’t want to let it boil too long or the caramel will become too crunchy.
Once mixed, microwave on high heat for one minute about 4 times, mixing between each round.
You’ll lay it out on a baking sheet to cool and set and then you’re done! No baking or oven required. It’s so so simple.
We brought this to Thanksgiving this year to snack on while we cooked and hung out and it disappeared so fast. My mom said, “this is like crack.” That’s how delicious and addicting it is.
It’s a great holiday recipe because it’s easy to make and you don’t have to have extra plates or bowls to serve it with, people just use their hands!
Hope you love this recipe as much as I do!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces (or 1 large box) Crispix
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- Place the Crispix in a large microwave safe mixing bowl or large paper bag. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat and set aside.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and allow to boil for 1½ - 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful not to boil too long or caramel will be too crunchy. Remove mixture from the stove and add the baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit then settle.
- Add the caramel mixture to the prepared Crispix and stir gently with a rubber or wooden spatula. Place the bowl of caramel Crispix in the microwave and heat on high for 1 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir gently. Repeat 3 more times to reach a total of 4 minutes. Spread mixture evenly onto prepared baking sheets and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Allow to cool completely, breaking pieces or chunks apart with your hands or spatula as it cools. Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.